Why, Mum?

A/N: Written by tato :3

Dan's P.O.V. Saturday night

When I arrived at home, it was about 6:30, since there was bad traffic, and since I'd helped clean up. I unlocked the door quietly, and opened it. I heard music blaring from the basement, and the smell of booze wafted up the steps. I shook my head and went into the kitchen. Mum was waiting for me, with a plate of cold spaghetti with red sauce on top at my seat. She was sitting across from me, drinking tea and reading a magazine. I sat down and grabbed the fork hesitantly. I looked at her, and said,

"Hi."

"Hello, Daniel." Uh-oh, she used my full first name.

"Thanks for the dinner," I said. She nodded, and asked coldly,

"Don't mention it. How was the party?"

"Good. Everyone loved my piano playing," I said as I finished chewing.

"So, any reason why its 6:30 and you're just getting home?"

"Well, um, I helped clean up after the party, and there was also really bad traffic," I said as I layed my fork down. Trust me, you don't want to eat when mum gets mad. If she hits you, you'll choke, and she won't help you.

"I thought we'd agreed that you'd be home by 5:30 at the latest," she said as she swallowed the last of her tea.

"I can't help the traffic, and I wanted to be a gentleman and help clean up!" I said, slightly raising my voice.

"DANIEL JAMES HOWELL! DO NOT YELL AT ME!!!!" she screamed.

"Sorry," I said quietly.

"Well, you know why we have rules. And when those rules are broken, well..." she said as she stood up and walked over to me. She smacked my cheek, hard. I bit the side of my mouth, and tasted blood.

"...you get consequences," she said, finishing her sentence. She smacked me on the same cheek again, hitting my eye. It also caused my cheek to bleed more.

"WHY MUM?!" I screamed as I ran up to my room. I checked my eye and saw it was starting to blacken. I opened my mouth, and saw blood oozing from my cheek. I went to the upstairs bathroom and quietly rinsed out my mouth until the blood flow had mostly stopped. I went back in my room, and cried silently. The tears ran over my cheek and onto my pillow. I picked up my phone with shaky hands and called Phil. After 2 rings, he picked up.

"H...hey Phil. Wh...what's up?" I stuttered.

"Dan! Are you ok?"

"Actually, not r...really. My mum...she..." I said, then lost it. I sobbed, loudly this time, tears dripping all over my t-shirt. Phil didn't hang up; he listened and tried to calm me down.

Phil's P.O.V.

"Listen, Dan. I'll be down at your house in a half an hour. I promise," I said.

"Ph...Phil...you don't h...have to..."

"Yes I do! I'll see you!" I said as I hung up. I grabbed shoes and a coat, and bolted out the door. I quickly found a cab. I spat out Dan's address and looked up at the driver. All too familiar emerald green eyes were staring at me in the mirror.

"Hey love," Matt said sweetly.