Chapter 12- Part 2

Character and plot owned by Suzanne Collins!

Recap:

Sneaking forward I peered out, hoping to find something that could help me. Not a living sole was awake though. Even the bare ground and the tall, mighty trees seemed to be absent in a way. The usual rustling was gone along with the signs of life and was replaced with an empty whistling. The wind shook some of the weaker houses threatening to tear parts of their roofs off. It carried smaller objects left outside with it. Life had been taken over by this hollowness.

Just as I had given up on finding the person or thing responsible for the unnatural humming a shadow sneaked past the large oak tree straight in front of our house. Seconds later a large fire was lit behind the tree. I could see the crackling flames and the large amount of smoke. I wouldn't have dared to make a fire like that! The peacekeepers would punish this person immediately if they found him.

In usual circumstances I would let this happen but this time my curiosity got the best of me.

I pulled on a jacket, grabbed a knife from the kitchen and headed out into the dark, spooky night.

Whoever was out there I would find them! Then they will be asking me for mercy.

Chapter 12- Part 2

 Slowly I sneaked out of the house and into the street, following the noises. Sadly the humming had stopped, but had been replaced with different sounds. My steps were almost inaudible while the other persons were careless and clumsy. With each of their steps twigs snapped, leaves crunched and thumps echoed as they bumped into things. It was also obvious that they had never done whatever they were doing before because I could often hear her cursing under her breath. Yes it was definitely a girl. She had a high pitched voice and was uneasy using those nasty words that were escaping from her lips.

Following the unknown girl for a while, I determined that I could always over power her. If I got close enough I could attack. Then I would just turn her in to the Peacekeepers, collect the reward money and send it in to support Katniss. It was the perfect idea.

The girl stopped with a halt, right in front of the gate that surrounded the woods. Pulling out a knife from her pocket she looked around nervously searching the area for anyone watching. I almost laughed when she looked straight at me and didn't notice I was right there, within her reach. After she had decided nobody was there she crouched down and one by one cut the wires away, creating a large hole that even two people could fit through. She may not be using it anymore after I catch her, but I was definitely going to make use of it. However inexperienced the girl was she did a good job on the fence. Even the tips of the wire were being rounded off so that they wouldn't cut anyone.

Finishing her cutting job she slid the knife back into her pocket, observing her work. A smug smile of pride crossed her face as she inspected it. Finding it flawless she pushed a bag through the hole and followed. On the other side she pulled a perfect, silver arrow and 12 sharp arrows out of the bag. It was just like the ones I had seen in Cornucopia during some of the past Hunger Games. I had dreamt of owning a weapon like that for years. Pictures of it filled the space under my bed as I had tried to work out the structure of it. How much I would love to hold that beauty in my hands.

I slowly followed her through the whole, hiding behind the massive, tall trees in the area.

Awkwardly clutching the bows and arrow in her hands the girl continued deeper into the forest, nearing our hide out with Katniss. She held the weapon like she was ready to swing it, or use one of the arrows to stab anyone or anything nearing at any second. It didn't look as if she was going to use it the proper way anytime soon.