Chapter 18

I’m very sorry for not updating sooner. I know I promised I would a long time ago, but life’s been hectic. I recently had injuries, a surgery and school’s been tough, so I haven’t had much time or energy to write… My life is on the right track now though, so I will be updating more often.

Chapter 18

The next morning I woke early, before the chattering of the birds had even started, unable to wait any longer to see Katniss. Today I would finally see her and hear her talk, after those horrid weeks when I didn’t even get to do this. Of course I knew that it would only make the pain of missing her worse, but I needed this. I missed my best friend so much, that I wasn’t sure how much longer I could take. I needed her by my side, giving me energy and strength while I did the same to her. She was the reason I was alive, trying to make the best of life, and if I had the chance, I would try to change the world.

Today Katniss was going to have to stand her own in the interview. Hopefully she won’t mess up and be hostile, because that could be the end of her getting any sponsors, which could be what is the line between her life and death.

I messed around all morning shooting helpless animals that didn’t really do anything to me. They were just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They would be worth a lot for me though, and at least I wasn’t at home complaining.

After shooting enough animals to fill the game bag to the top I headed to the hob to trade them in for just about anything. I ended up getting a nice sum of money, two loaves of bread from the baker who was completely depressed and some cheese.

When the time for the interview came I headed home, bracing myself for the worst.

With a crackle the TV came on, this time without any before note from President Snow. It was a relief not having to see him. Slowly all the tributes walked onto the stage and took their seats, each looking more nervous than the other. I could only hope Katniss would do well.

Caesar Flickerman bounced on the stage, in the same blue dotted suit he wears every year. This year he is sporting powder blue hair and his lips and eyes are the same color. He looks like a freak.

On stage he tells a few jokes, but quickly gets down to business.

The girl from District 1 is the first to be interviewed, who is wearing a see-through gold gown. She looks pretty, but I barely even notice her. I am too busy studying Katniss, who is trying to look like a lady, something she would normally never do. Some of the tributes in the back fiddled with their dress, tapped their fingers or just looked terrified, but Katniss didn’t look the least bit nervous. She just sat their taking in every word of the other tributes, probably analyzing them along the way. Each was trying to play from a different angle. Some were trying to look and act extremely strong, while others were more secretive.

The girl from district 11 was different, than what I expected, after getting a 7. She is small, and looks breakable. I can’t decide if she reveals that she is hard to catch, on purpose or just because of the excitement but I know this might have sealed her faith. She may have just told her enemies that she needs to be killed in the beginning, or was trying to scare them off a little. Either way, I was more concerned with what Katniss would say.

When it was her turn she gracefully walked to the center of the stage and shook Caesar’s hand. She looks calm and collected, but when the first question is asked, she can’t seem to answer. I can tell she is desperately looking for someone in the crowd. When she finally finds the person she can answer the question.

“The lamb stew,” Katniss tells Caesar. It’s what impressed her the most. I laugh and so does the audience. Only Katniss would be able to answer that food impressed her the most. Of course it’s understandable though. Compared to the food we hunt, everything must be better in the capitol.

After Caesar jokes about the lamb stew, he asks about Katniss’s costume from the opening ceremony. Katniss answers something I never would have expected from her.

“You mean after I got over my fear of being burned alive?” I can believe she asks that. It’s not like Katniss, joking around, being nice.

“Yes, start there.” Caesar tells her.

“I thought Cinna was brilliant and it was the most gorgeous costume I’d ever seen and I couldn’t believe I was wearing it. I can’t believe I’m wearing this either.” She lifts up her skirt and spreads it out. “I mean look at it!”

By this point I am sure Katniss went through quite a few lessons on how to be nice, a charming. She would have been hostile answering every question with a short answer that was just enough to please someone, without making them ask further questions.

After a while she stands up and twirls as if taking commands from someone. I know she probably is. Either from Effie or from the person she just mentioned, Cinna.

When she stops, Caesar asks her to do it again. She looks amazing, flames from the dress engulfing her. When she stops, Caesar tells her not to, and Katniss tells him she’s dizzy giggling. I’ve never heard her giggle in my life. I can’t even begin to imagine how much she will change during the games, but hopefully she will be the one to come home. I need her to come home.

Caesar then asks her how she got an eleven. Katniss says she did something that was probably a first, and I’m sure she did. When she gets angry she does interesting things.

Caesar try’s pushing her for details, but Katniss follows the rules and doesn’t reveal a thing. Then he asks her about Prim. I gasp, knowing Katniss will have a hard time answering, but slowly she answer.

“Her name’s Prim. She’s just twelve. And I love her more than anything.”

Prim bursts into tears next to me, and I pull her into my lap, trying to sooth her.

“And what did she say to you? After the reaping?” Caesar asks.

“She asked me to try really hard to win.”

“And what did you say?”

“I swore I would.” Katniss answers, looking like she does when we hunt. She’s given up on the act. Prim seems to notice the change in Katniss’s behavior too, because she bolts out of the room. I run after her, knowing Katniss’s time is probably up. I am right, as Caesar says goodbye to her.

Prim runs out of the house, and collapses crying at the trunk of the closest tree. I know I won’t be able to sooth her with words, as I’m not good at that, so I just sit next to her. She leans into me knowing that I’m here for her.

“I miss her so much,” she whispers.

“I do too,” I reply, tears now streaming down my cheek. Prim wipes them away gently.

“Don’t cry. She promised she’ll come home.” Prim tries cheering me up. I chuckle at how quickly our roles reversed, but don’t say a thing. I wouldn’t be able to tell Prim the truth, on how cruel they are in the games.

“Come on, let’s go back inside. You’ll catch a cold.” I finally tell Prim, lifting her up and carrying her back into the house.

We arrive back for the second half of Peeta’s interview. Caesar has just asked him about the girls back home.

“Well there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I remember, but I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping.” Peeta answers.

“She have another fellow?”

“I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her.”

“So here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?”

“I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning… won’t help in my case.:

“Why ever not?”

“Because… because… she came here with me.” Peeta finally blurts out and I blast up off the old couch I was sitting on. I can’t believe he just said that. He can’t like Katniss!

I stomp out of the house, grabbing my hunting equipment on the way. I march to the fence that separates our district from the woods, and wait for the electricity to be turned back off.