XXX

"any moment could be our last"

———

WITH the first strike, Octavia remembered Naboo.

She thought of their moment under the waterfall. Flashes of Anakin's body being so close to hers sparked in her mind like he was mocking her. They were so much younger then.

She saw his boyish face in that first strike, his grin, how her heart would flutter when he would say her name. All of those small intricate details that made her fall in love with him. His soft skin, his ocean blue eyes that told hundreds of stories.

When their sabers clashed again, she thought of their first kiss. How wrong they were to do such a thing, yet the thrill of it caused all of those cares to whither away. She thought of how her heart thumped almost out of her chest when he pressed his gentle lips to hers. The cascading waterfall behind them, creating dashes of colour in the sunlight.

But this was reality, and they were only distant memories.

Anakin did not see the woman he loved within his opponent. He saw the enemy, those who seek to destroy those who would help him. Blinded by hatred and fear, he no longer saw she who adored him like the sun to the moon.

Octavia, however, saw a boy who was lost in the abyss of lies and deceit. Lured in by a power so strong that she could almost feel it radiating off of him. His eyes were so dark, she thought.

It was obvious that they were both skilled with their weapons, and even more so that their techniques were so similar to one another. Each hit was resulted in a swift block by the opponent, each swift move. Though Octavia was trying her best not to attack her husband, she could see that Anakin was the complete opposite.

As the fires of Mustafar roared into the air as if they were living, Octavia continued to block her husbands hits. Their sabers clashed, the sweat on Anakin's forehead only emphasising his sheer determination to defeat his enemy.

"Anakin," Octavia breathed, blocking another hit, "you must stop this."

He ignored her, forcing his blade down onto hers and knocking her to the floor.

"I should've known that one day you would betray me." He snarled, raising his lightsaber to create a final blow. Octavia's eyes widened, outstretching her fingers and feeling the force flow through her as Anakin was violently thrown back from her.

She stood, releasing a ragged breath. "Don't you see?" She shouted to him over the sounds of the fires, "It is you who has betrayed me." He stood, menacingly pacing from left to right as he glared at her, debating his next move. "You have let this...this evil bastard twist your mind to the point where you don't even know who I am anymore!" Octavia's eyes glassed over, fighting back her tears as the hope for her husband began to slowly extinguish. "I thought you loved me. Or have you forgotten what that is?"