XXXII

"hope is the only thing stronger than fear"

————

5 MONTHS PASSED in the blink of an eye, and the wails of Octavia Monoré filled Polis Massa like there was no tomorrow.

She lay on the medical bed, tears falling from her eyes and sweat beads dripping down her face like the Naboo waterfalls. Octavia knew that labour would never be an easy thing, but this was unimaginable.

The droid taking care of her did everything in its power to sooth her pain, gently caressing her as she neared the birth of her children. Obi-Wan, his brow furrowed in concern, watched through the windows as his dear friend suffered.

He thought of Anakin in that moment. His name rarely spoken in the months that had passed, by anyone. Darth Vader was a curse, a painful memory that he wished to forget, but could not. The Jedi Master wondered what Anakin would've been like as a father. He thought of how he would've stayed right by Octavia's side, telling her how proud he was, how excited he would've been to raise their two beautiful babies together.

But this was no longer about Anakin Skywalker. This was about Octavia Monoré, the strongest woman Obi-Wan had ever laid his eyes upon.

Octavia cried out in pain as the birth of her first child begun. She prayed to every God she could think of, for this pain to be over and her babies to be safe. The nurse cooed gently as Octavia pushed with all her might. And with a final cry, her first baby was born.

A hiccup, followed by a tiny wail erupted in the small medical room, and a tear slipped from Octavia's eye as the nurse presented her first born. Obi-Wan smiled from behind the glass, feeling the relief and happiness radiate from Octavia through the Force.

The exhausted female stroked her son's cheek with a nimble finger, heaving heavy breaths as she glowed with adoration.

"Luke." She whispered, a gentle tear rolling down her cheek.

But it wasn't long until the urge to push began again, and the droid handed Octavia's son to a standby nurse. The female Jedi cried out as she pushed, gripping the bedsheets next to her until her fingers were white. Her hair was matted, soaked with salty sweat as the agony overtook her senses. Just get out of me, she thought to herself, not caring about anything else but the excruciation this was causing. No lightsaber wound would ever compare.

Relief eventually arrived after what felt like hours, and Octavia released a sigh, her head falling back against the pillow as she stared at the white lights above her. The droid approached, holding her baby girl in its arms, offering her over to Octavia. Another tear fell, the girl gingerly taking the baby out of her arms and cradling her.