XXIV

"let your heart tell you what your actions cannot

"let your heart tell you what your actions cannot."

_______

NIGHT had succumbed Coruscant, and Octavia stood on the balcony of the apartment that her and Anakin shared, listening to her husband's frustrated rant at his position on the Jedi Council.

"It's outrageous." He spoke. "How can they put me on the Council but not make me a Master? It has never been done in the history of the Jedi. It's insulting!" He spoke, pacing back and forth.

"Anakin, it's a great honour to be on the Council! You're twenty-three years old. One of the youngest members of the Council in history! Please don't be upset." Octavia spoke, although she found his tantrum slightly amusing. Although she had been granted the rank of Master and was on the Council, she couldn't help but feel bad for her husband, who had been just as progressive.

"I never asked to be put on the Council." He said, in defence.

"Yes, but it's what you wanted is it not?" She fired back, remembering a previous conversation that they had on the matter. "Your friendship with the Chancellor has paid off."

Anakin grew irritated with her, then. "The Chancellor has nothing to do with this."

With a roll of her eyes, she stepped towards him. "Of course he does. He wants you as his personal representative. Why do you think the Council are wary? They don't trust him. I don't trust him."

"For what reason?" Anakin said, his eyes connecting with Octavia's.

"Because of his involvement with Jedi affairs. It is not his place. There's something about him that doesn't feel...right."

"What are you trying to say, Octavia?" Anakin asked her, and she sighed heavily, hesitating to reply.

"I spoke with Obi-Wan earlier. The Council...they want you to report all of the Chancellor's dealings. They want to know what he's up to."

Anakin looked shocked. "They want me to spy on him? That's treason!"

"He's closest to you. We are at war, my love. The Jedi hold their allegiance to the Senate, not its leader." She approached him, winding her arms around him. "Whatever happens, I am on your side. You know that. But we have a job to do."

He sighed, placing his forehead against hers. "I know, I'm sorry."

That night, Octavia was woken by Anakin's restless behaviour. He thrashed in his sleep, murmuring the name of his wife. Shaking him awake, he was startled, his head damp with sweat.