XXIII

"these nightmares wrap their evil hands around my soul at night"

______

SLEEP was the one thing Octavia was grateful for in times like these. Sleep, beside the man she loved, that would take her into a world where war was a myth and darkness brought true peace.

But sleep was also a trickster, bringing darkness, that could only present fear.

Octavia's dreams were interrupted. She was woken by the shuffling of a body beside her, followed by a series of moans and hushed words. Rubbing her eyes, she stirred as Anakin's body continued to move around.

"No..." he murmured, sweat forming on his forehead. "No, please..."

"Anakin." His wife murmured, placing a hand on his bare chest. "Anakin, wake up."

With a gasp, the boy opened his eyes, releasing a shaken breath. His chest rose and fell rapidly, her palm still laying flat on it as she sat up, leaning on her arm. "You had a nightmare." Her voice was merely a whisper, even though they were tucked up in their secluded apartment deep within Coruscant.

"I know." His voice was monotone, but his eyes spoke a thousand emotions. He stood from the bed, draping a robe around his naked torso, walking out of the room.

His coldness confused the girl. Without a second thought, she was out of the bed and following him. Wearing only a pale blue nightgown, she shivered at the sudden change of temperature. Her hair was lose, draping down her back in an unruly manner, and her eyes spoke only of exhaustion.

She found her husband staring out into the nightlife of Coruscant, his eyebrows knitted, his arms hanging loosely by his side. She approached him, trying to catch his gaze, but with no avail.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" She asked, a little louder this time, her voice seemingly timid.

"I'd rather forget about it." He muttered, his gaze not shifting.

Rolling her eyes at his stubbornness, she stood in front of him and blocked his view. "Anakin, I can't help you if you don't talk to me."

He sighed, wrapping his arms around his wife's waist and pulling her to him, resting his chin against her head. "It was about you."

Concerned, she pulled away and looked into his iced eyes. "What about me?"

His breathing was shaky again. "You were...in pain. Someone had hurt you. You were...you were dying." His voice was a mere whisper. Looking away from her, he released as if afraid to touch her.