Chapter Thirty-Seven: Do What Is Best For You!

(Mayumi's POV)

We had thankfully made it to the base without being attacked by enemy ninja.I took Kakashi's unconscious body to the infirmary so he could be seen. After carefully laying him down onto the bed in the infirmary I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. We had retrieved the sword that I needed in order to defeat my father but, I knew that this mission was not one that we completed successfully.

As soon as we had arrived at the hideout, Itachi had quickly taken Yumiko's corpse to a private room, which had medical ninja waiting for their arrival. I glanced down at Kakashi, who was unconscious due to the lack of chakra. I reached down to touch his face, but stopped a few inches away.

"I don't think he will mind if you touch him, Mayumi." I practically jumped out of my skin when I saw Asuma standing in the doorway. He had a partially lit cigarette hanging from his rugged lips as he took a few steps into the infirmary and closed the door behind himself.

"A-Asuma?" I muttered as I felt an awkward blush creep across my cheeks. Asuma smirked as he took a drag of his cigarette and sat down in one of the few sturdy chairs the room had to offer.

"So, there's something I've been meaning to ask you." Asuma began to speak as he ran his free hand through his spiky black hair. "After all of this is over, and your father is defeated what will you do then?" Asuma questioned me. I looked over at Kakashi, who was still sleeping peacefully.

"I...I don't know..." I mumbled. I knew I had made a deal with Itachi and the Akatsuki to join them after this was over but...deep down all I wanted to do was to be with Kakashi. Kakashi and I hadn't spoken about our relationship since he broke things off.

All I was for certain of was that being without Kakashi felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest. Asuma leaned back in his chair and sighed deeply as he took another long drag of his cigarette, small clouds of grey smoke drifted out of his mouth as he looked up at me with his deep oak colored eyes.

"Once your father is defeated and peace returns to the leaf village you will finally be free to do as you please. Why would you throw that away? All for a deal you made with some unloyal, untrustworthy rogue ninja. Sound's pretty stupid if you ask me." Asuma stated harshly. I clenched my fists and turned to face him, doing the best I could to conceal my tears of frustration.

"Well, I'm pretty sure no one asked you. What do you know Asuma!? You've been here the whole time, safe from any harm or conflict. So, who are you to come in here and tell me what I'm doing wrong?" I hissed. An unwanted feeling of rage began to slowly consume me as I bit my lower lip to stop myself from going any further. Asuma stood up and walked over to an ashtray that had been sitting on a table across the room. He pressed his cigarette butt into the slate grey ashtray as he shook his head slightly.

"You're right. I haven't been on the front lines yet for this situation, so I don't know what it is like. But, I do know that one of my best friends are laying in that bed unconscious because of a situation that you're a part of. He could have died, like Lady Sato did." Asuma began to explain. I opened my mouth to interject but he held his hand up to stop me.

"I'm not saying that it's your fault that Kakashi is in the situation he is in now. No, he made the choices he did and now he has to deal with the consequences. But, I know if it wasn't for the fact that he is madly in love with you, he would have been thinking more clearly and wouldn't have ended up hurt." Asuma stated as my eyes widened.

" So what are you saying I should do Asuma?!" I raised my voice as I held both of my hands up in frustration. "Please enlighten me because it is clear that I have no idea what I should do! You have NO IDEA what it is like being in my shoes right now!" I lowered my hands back down to my side as I took a deep breath to keep the tears from flowing.

"I think it's about time you be honest about your feelings, Mayumi. You're not your fathers doll. You have a right to live your life the way you see fit. Make your own choices, Mayumi. Because it's clear to everyone who is around the two of you that you both are falling for one another. So, why waste an opportunity like that?" Asuma asked as I felt my heart beat begin to slow down, as thoughts of Kakashi smiling flashed in my mind.

He was right, even though I hated to admit it. I knew that this whole time I had been pushing my feelings to the side in the hopes that I would be able to focus better on the problem at hand. In reality though, Both Kakashi and I were unfocused and not on our A game, which led to Kakashi's injuries. I exhaled softly as I looked up to meet Asuma's deep brown gaze.

"Thank you, Asuma. I needed to hear that." I smiled softly as I looked back down at Kakashi, who was still sleeping peacefully. I reached down and took his warm soft hand in mine and smiled as I ran the tip of my thumb over the bumps of his knuckles. Asuma smiled and nodded as he looked at Kakashi and patted the end of Kakashi's bed.

"Wake up soon, we need you back here." Asuma spoke softly as he gently smiled at Kakashi. Asuma turned and headed towards the door, stopping right before opening it.

"Good luck, Mayumi. Just do what's best for you, remember that." Asuma wisely stated as I smiled and nodded in response, watching one of Kakashi's best friends and fellow comrades leave the small room that was the infirmary