Chapter Seventeen: Childhood Memories

(Mayumi's POV flashback)  

"You two be careful out there today, Okay?" Mrs. Matsuoka called out to us. I giggled and nodded as Rin sighed. 

   "Mom, I'm not a little kid anymore!" Rin groaned as Mrs. Matsuoka chuckled and patted the top of his head. 

   "You're only ten, Rin. You're still my little boy whether you like it or not." She teased as Rin huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. Mrs. Matsuoka's gentle red eyes drifted to me as she smiled. 

    "Your kimono looks beautiful on you, Mayumi. Did you mother help you pick it out?" She questioned as I shook my head. 

   "No Ma'am... My mother and father were too busy. But one of the house maids made it for me!" I giggled as Mrs. Matsuoka smiled.

   "Well, you two have fun at the fireworks festival okay!"  Mrs. Matsuoka instructed and both Rin and I nodded. I had known Rin since I was an infant, both of our mothers had know each other when they were kids. 

   "We will Mom! Bye!" Rin called as I waved goodbye to Mrs. Matsuoka. The village was bustling with excitement. Food venders as well as shops and games lined the streets. It was the 48th annual Shinobi festival, which was a big deal in the village. My eyes widened as I smiled, admiring all of the twinkling lights and gorgeous detailed kimonos that were worn by everyone in attendance.

    "Like what you see?" Rin questioned, keeping his hands shoved into his pockets. I looked over at him and nodded, holding my little silver purse in front of me. 

   "It's beautiful.. I never thought the village could look like this." I stated as I smiled. Rin smiled as he watched me. 

   "Right! They really spruced up the place! So, what do you wanna do first? Do you wanna play some games? Get some food?" Rin asked, causing me to tap the bottom of my chin.

    "Playing some games sounds like fun!" I giggled as Rin nodded and grabbed me by the wrist and led me through the crowd of people. After a few rounds of some of the games at the festival Rin and I had decided to get a snack and watch the fireworks. We sat on the swings and looked up at the dark night sky as we both nibbled on our sweet pink cotton candy. I glanced over at Rin, who had been staring off into space. 

  "Are you okay, Rin?" I asked as he slightly jumped and sighed.

    "I was thinking, we start the academy this year...I wonder what will happen to the both of us." Rin muttered as I sighed and nodded. 

  "So, what do you think will happen in the future?" I questioned as Rin smiled and looked back up at the night sky that slowly became illuminated by the bright red, green and white fireworks.
  My eyes widened in awe at the beauty of the fireworks. The bright colors painted the sky as Rin looked over at me and smiled softly.

    "Mayumi?" His soft voice pulled my gaze from the night sky, to his gentle red eyes. 

   "Hmm?" I turned to face him as he smiled. 

    "I think I know something that I want to happen in the future." Rin began to explain over the cheers of the crowd around us. I tilted my head slightly and smiled. 

   "Good! What is it?" I asked, as he innocently blushed. 

     "W-Well, I want to be your husband someday! Promise me Mayumi when we're older you'll be my wife." Rin held out his pinky finger, causing me to giggle.

     "Rin, that's silly!" I teased as Rin huffed and kept his pinky out. 

     "Come on Mayumi. If we were married we could spend all day playing together and having fun! What doesn't sound fun about that?!" Rin tried to persuade me as I giggled again. 

    "I mean, that does sound like a lot of fun!" I tapped the tip of my chin. After a few seconds of thinking I raised my pinky to intertwine with his. 

  "Really, Mayumi?!" Rin's eyes widened as they became illuminated by the lights of the fireworks. I smiled and nodded as I spoke softly. 

   "Yeah! I'll be your wife someday Rin!"