Chapter Sixteen: Rin

(Mayumi's POV)

     I was extremely grateful that the inn I had decided on had an indoor bath. After spending what seemed like an eternity in the bath I quickly got dressed and began drying my hair. I knew I had to face Kakashi tomorrow at training but I still had no idea what to even say. 

   "He probably isn't interested in me like that anyways..." I muttered to myself as I began drying the ends of my long white hair.

   "Mayumi? Are you in there?" A light knock came from the door to my room as I looked up towards the door and placed the towel onto the side of the desk chair. I opened the door to see Rin Matsuoka standing in front of me.

    "Oh, Rin? What are you doing here?" I questioned as I moved to the side, inviting him in. He took a few steps inside and smiled as he looked me up and down.

   "Well I'm here for two reasons." He began to explain, his raspy voice sent shivers down my spine as a faint blush creeped onto my cheeks. 

   "Okay? So?" I asked as I closed the door behind him and headed over to the bed. Rin pulled out a red and green scroll and held it out before me. I peaked up at him and took the scroll as I raised an eyebrow. "A mission?" I muttered as I noticed my fathers Anbu seal on it. Any excitement I had for a new mission dissolved once I realized it was a mission my father wanted me for. 

   "Try not to look too excited about going on a mission with me Mayumi." Rin teased as he sat down next to me on the bed. I smirked and nudged him softly as I read the scroll. 

   "So, it's an reconnaissance mission in the Land of Snow? Sounds simple enough." I mumbled as Rin nodded. 

  "It should be for the most part, but we need to be extremely careful on this mission. Every mission whether the difficulty still has its risks." Rin warned as I giggled softly.

   "You're such a worry wort. You've always been one." I teased as Rin rolled his eyes. 

  "There's nothing wrong with me not wanting you to get hurt...I mean after all, you are my future wife." Rin stated and smirked as I shook my head and looked at him. 

   "You're really still holding onto that promise? Rin, I was a child." I groaned, memories of when Rin and I were children played in my mind. Rin shrugged as he leaned in closer to me.

   "A mans gotta try right?" He chuckled as his violet eyes inspected mine. After a few moments of Rin's inspecting glare I turned my face, blushing as I cleared my throat. 

   "U-Uhm...You said there was something else you needed?" I asked, trying to change the subject as I still felt somewhat confused as to what I wanted. Rin raised an eyebrow and smirked as he reached up and grabbed my chin softly, getting me to look him in the eye once more.

   "Go out with me, Mayumi." His tone of voice changed as our faces were centimeters apart.

    "R-Rin what?" I stammered, taken by surprise. Rin had always joked about our childhood promise, but he had never actually asked me out on a date before. Before I could blink Rin leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine. His lips were soft, but not as soft as Kakashi's. I pulled away, as I placed my hand over my lips.

   "Mayumi look...we're not little kids anymore. We're adults, and I just want you to give me a chance to show you how you deserve to be treated." Rin whispered, his words sounding completely genuine. I looked down at my hands and sighed deeply as I looked back up at him. My heart was racing, but not like it normally did when I was around Him. 

  "Rin...give me some time to think it over? I have a few things I need to figure out first." I explained as he paused for a few moments and sighed, leaning back in the bed.

   "Okay, I'll let you have all the time you need. But I won't stop trying!" Rin smirked as I smiled slightly and sighed.

    "So, we leave tomorrow night then?" I asked, wanting to make sure I had most of the information I needed. Rin nodded and slowly stood up.

    "Yes, tomorrow evening so make sure you get plenty of rest." Rin warned me, keeping true to his mother hen personality. I giggled and nodded as I stood up as well.

   " I will ok? Now stop worrying about me and go get some rest yourself." I smiled as I led him to the door of my room. Right as Rin was heading out he stopped, keeping his muscular back turned towards me.

    "Don't forget what I said Mayumi...I won't give up on you that easily. Let me know if you do decide to go on a date with me. See you tomorrow, Mayumi." Rin spoke softly, his tone of voice not one I heard often.

   "O-Okay Rin... goodnight." I muttered as I watched Rin leave. As soon as I couldn't see Rin anymore I groaned deeply. 

   "Of all things for him to come and tell me." I closed the door to my room behind me again and sauntered over to the bed. I fell face first into the surprisingly comfy bed and took a few deep breaths. "This just got way more complicated..."