Chapter Twenty-Five : Declaration

(Kakashi's POV)

    I woke up the next morning to an empty bed. As soon as I realized that Mayumi was gone, panic began to overwhelm me. I jumped out of bed and threw on my clothes trying to figure out where she could have possibly slipped off too. A thin neatly folded note sat on the corner of the kitchen counter. The perfect cursive handwriting had to belong to none other than Mayumi. I sighed, reaching for the note and quickly opening it:

    Kakashi,
        Please don't be mad, but this is something I have to do. I'll be heading to hopefully meet with Itachi. If we're gonna stand any chance in defeating my father, we're going to need his help. I hope you understand. I'll be back soon, and I'll be careful.

     ~Mayumi

    I swear this girl is the most reckless person I have ever met in my entire life. I sat the note back down onto the counter as I ran my hands through my hair.

       "KAKASHI!?" A loud rapping sound coming from the door startled me out of my thoughts. I sat Mayumi's note on the table and walked over to the door. After opening it I saw Rin, with a panicked look on his face.

     "Rin? What are you doing here?" I asked as he stood up straight and tried to look around my shoulder.

     "Is Mayumi here?! I heard this morning about her encounter with Lord Hokage." Rin explained frantically. I moved to the side, allowing him into my home. After I closed the door behind him, I leaned my back against the hardwood as I raised my eyebrows.

       "Encounter? What are you talking about Rin?" I asked. If I knew Mayumi well enough, it wouldn't shock me that she met with Lord Hokage before she left. After a quick explanation from Rin, I groaned deeply. Why couldn't this girl get it through her head that she's not alone in all of this?

      "I can't believe you would allow her to do something so stupid..." Rin muttered under his breath. I felt a tinge of annoyance run down my spine as I scoffed.

      "The way you're talking makes it sound like Mayumi is someone who can be controlled. The Mayumi I know never lets anyone tell her what she can or can not do. She's stubborn and determined..." My voice trailed off as I smiled softly.

        "This is exactly why she doesn't belong here with you. I have Mayumi's safety and best interests at heart. I know her better than she knows herself." Rin stated harshly. My eyes widened a bit by his words, feeling slightly challenged.

     "Are you sure about that Rin? Because the way I see it, Mayumi is just beginning to figure out who she truly is. She's not some helpless little girl that needs protecting. She is a strong, Independent, and extremely talented Kunochi. She is fully capable of making her own decisions." I exclaimed, raising my voice slightly. Rin glared at me, his violet eyes practically shot daggers straight at me.

     "I'm not going to let someone like you come between Mayumi and I. She will be my wife someday, I am sure of that." Rin declared, causing a sarcastic laugh to burst out of me.

      "Ha, okay. Keep dreaming lover boy. If there is something I'm sure about, it's that Mayumi doesn't want someone who is going to control her. She spent plenty of time being controlled by her father." I explained. After a few moments of awkward silence, Rin turned and headed for the door. He reached for the shiny silver door handle, stopping a few inches away.

       "This isn't over Kakashi, just know that I'm not giving up on her." Rin exclaimed. I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned my butt against the edge of the table. My dark onyx eyes met his intense gaze.

       "Don't worry, neither am I." I answered and accepted his declaration of war. Once Rin left my house I groaned. I couldn't focus on anything besides what Mayumi could be doing. I was worried about her.

      Itachi isn't some petty criminal, he is one of the highest S rank criminals in the world. I just hoped that Mayumi could handle herself. I had decided I needed to get a team of Shinobi who I could trust and rely on to join us while Mayumi was gone. The more people we had on our side the better.