Chapter Four: Kaylee

Chapter Four:

Kaylee

            Oh hell. Why God? Why! The temptation was right in front of me. Muscle, beyond muscle. Staring me right in the fucking face. Luke was still asleep, though he'd clearly taken off his shirt before fully going.

            Damn football player. I sucked in a deep breath before walking around to my side, thankfully not the side he was laying on. I placed the water and pills down on the nightstand and turned off the lamp.

            Slowly, I lifted the covers and slid under, trying not to stare at Luke. I shifted a little bit more, and got comfortable, ignoring the added weight to the mattress, making it tilt unusually. God, even his sweat smelled enticing. There was something seriously wrong with me.

            I calmed down my breathing and thought of peaceful things, or tried to, and found myself succumbing to the darkness.

            When I woke up, I was surprised to realize that I could barely breathe. There was a pressure on my chest like no other, but it didn't really feel bad, just...weird.

            I opened my eyes to find an arm sprawled right on top of my torso, crossing from my right shoulder, all the way down to my left hip. Luke's breathing was slow and heavy, right in my ear, making me believe I was by the ocean or something. I stole a peek at my window, realizing that it was light out, bright enough to bother my eyes, but not strong enough to emit heat.

            I sighed and took another deep breath. Unconsciously, I nestled myself closer to his chest, wanting his warmth like my life depended on it. I placed my hand on top of his arm, holding onto it, ready to go back to sleep.

            And then he moved. Fuck. He started to shift, and his breathing changed. I realized he was now awake. He smelled my hair; his nose cooped up right by my head, and shivered. His hand, on my hip, slightly began drawing circles beneath my shirt.

            "Kaylee?" he whispered.

            Shit. I didn't know if I should pretend to be asleep or answer him.

            "I know you're awake," he chuckled.

            I huffed. "Morning."

            "Morning, Kay."

            I twisted to look at him, realizing that he was actually over the covers and I was under. I guessed he'd gotten up sometime. My back was open to him though, revealing the reason I could feel his chest on my back.

            His arm still over me, I simply turned my head to stare into his hazel eyes, and to my disappointment, found them closed.

            "Luke?" I whispered, making sure I hadn't just imagined that little exchange.

            "Mhhmm," he hummed. His eyes scrunched up.

            "What's wrong?" I asked when he showed me his pained expression.

            "Hang over."

            I didn't want to laugh at him, or giggle, but I couldn't help that little whisper of a chuckle from escaping my lips.

            "Not funny," he said. I took notice in the fact that he still had his arm around me and I was less than an inch away from him.

            "That's what you get for drinking." I know I work at a bar, but that doesn't mean I condone drinking excessively. I've been known to get drunk occasionally, but for fun, not because I was trying to drown in my own self pity.

            "Uhhh," he moaned.

            "Want an aspirin?" I asked him, not wanting him to make me move.

            "Never helps...just water."

            I sighed. "You gotta let me go first big boy," I joked.

            "Forget it," he joked back. But his words sent a flitter of butterflies down in my stomach.

            "C'mon, I have water on the nightstand," I answered.

            Slowly, his arm unwrapped from me. The coldness that washed over me was intense and I hated it. I hurried to get him his water so that he could get it around me again.

            Luke didn't open his eyes once I got the water. I chuckled and touched his cheek with the glass.

            "Luke, open your eyes. How are you gonna drink otherwise?"

            He still didn't open his eyes but instead grabbed hold of the glass. Slowly, he rose so that his back was to the headboard and his head was propped against a pillow. He lifted the water to his lips and gulped half the glass down in one try.

            "Wow," I whispered, chuckling a little.

            Luke handed me the glass, all without opening his eyes, and said, "Sorry, really thirsty."

            I put the glass down on the nightstand with a thunk and waited for him to do something. It was quiet for a second before he opened one eye, scrunching the other.

            "Wanna go back to sleep?" he asked me.

            I simply nodded my response and went to lie back down, waiting for his arm to envelope me.

            Two seconds later, his arm was wrapped around me like before and he was spooning me from behind. 

            We were stiff with each other, not really as relaxed as when we were both asleep. I held onto his arm, hoping he would relax a little and put his head on mine like he had before, rather than holding it so far away from me. The only thing touching me was his arm.

            It worked. Slowly, he brought his face down by my hair and I could hear his breath again. The sound was surprisingly soothing. I yawned and pushed my body closer to his, wanting no space between us.

            I was asleep faster than I thought possible, but not before hearing, "Thanks Kay."