Chapter Thirty Two: Kaylee

Chapter Thirty Two

Kaylee

"There must be a mistake," I said. The first words to pop out of my mouth. Then Lily started to cry a little. I guess I'd yelled that out loud and spooked her.

I frowned at how dumb I'd been to wake her up and quickly bent down to pick her up from her seat. I cradled her warm tiny body against my torso and rocked her back and forth, looking at her while trying to get her to calm back down.

"Ms. Burnett, I can assure you that there was no mistake. Your uncle very specifically wanted you to be the owner of all of this. We made sure it was legal. Although you are still in high school, you are technically a legal adult, so there was nothing that could stop your uncle from doing this," he said.

"But why? Why me?" I asked. Luke had his hand in mine and squeezed softly. Lily had stopped crying now and was sleeping away on my shoulder. I'd finally managed to calm her down! But I couldn't even celebrate my achievement at the moment.

"That I cannot say. We may never know. But I'm sure that your uncle wanted this. I double and triple checked. His wife didn't seem to have a problem either." Of course not, Mindy loved me.

I shook my head. "I don't know anything about business. I have no idea what the hell I should be doing," I whisper yelled, not wanting to wake Evan up either.

"Well, I talked to your uncle about this. He suggested that you talk to the vice president of the company. He should be able to set you straight with what to do. If you ever need legal advice," he said, handing me a card, "You know who to call. Your uncle was a very close friend of mine. I'm sad to have met you in these circumstances but I can sleep well at night knowing how much you care for those babies already."

That made me forget my dilemma and smile a little. "I already love them like they were mine. Thank you so much, Mr. Welford. I'll be sure to give you a call if we ever need anything."

He nodded and I hurried to put Lil back in her seat. We were gone in a minute.

Luke

Holy mother freaking shit! I knew that I shouldn't curse anymore, not even in my head. But I was in total shock. $21.7 MILLIONS??

Kaylee was sitting in the back with the babies again and I was busy with my thoughts as I drove. Well, as I tried to gather my thoughts. I couldn't really think at the moment.

"Luke, baby, say something," Kay said softly from the back. I looked into the rearview mirror to see her with tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"You haven't said anything yet," she whispered.

I closed my eyes for a second and focused on us getting back home. Five minutes later we were at the apartment and I got out of the front to get little Evan out. I quickly undid the seat and pulled him out, wondering how such a tiny creature could be so perfect. Kaylee already had Lil on her lap and I helped her down.

I tried not to look at her, knowing that I'd see red eyes and more tears. I just didn't know what to say. I held her hand firmly as we walked up the steps to the front door.

Once we got in, I heard her sniffling and my stance broke. I put Evan's seat down on the ground by their baby swings and grabbed Lily from Kay. I set her down next to her brother and walked towards Kaylee again.

I finally looked at her and my heart broke.

Kaylee

Was he gonna leave me? Why wouldn't he talk? Did I finally get to him? Is it too much? Of course it is. He's a teenage boy. Why would he want to help me raise two babies that weren't even his?