Chapter Twenty: Kaylee

Chapter Twenty

Kaylee

It's been three days already since the accident and I went to school for the first time today. I had a lot of shit to catch up with but I managed it quite well. Luke is going to be released from the hospital on Friday, so he's gonna have four days of work to make up.

I don't have college today, so I planned on staying the night with Luke. I'd already spoken to my boss, and since part of the bar had been burned down, he told me that I'd be out of work for a while. Apparently, it would only take a couple of weeks to fix it up, having only had minor damage. Chris would let me know when I could come back.

I already started to go over the school work with Luke, not wanting him to fall too far behind, but we hadn't gotten very far. Mr. C. hadn't showed up at all, although I know that Mrs. C. went home to tell him the news after her shifts ended. I could see how much it irritated Luke, and I was surprised to actually realize how messed up his family really was.

But tonight, we were both lying down on his hospital bed, watching TV. No worries, just MTV's Jackass.

"How was the math test?" he asked me when the commercial came on.

"Fine. Same as always," I answered, irritated.

"Hey, you chose to go in easy math, not honors."

"I know," I sighed. "But that doesn't mean that I'm happy about it. I thought hard math would've been too hard, and I needed a break from that."

"Well, now you have more time to help me with my homework," he joked.

"Yeah....right," I said, smiling.

Luke looked down at me. He had his arm curled under my head so I could use it as a pillow. You'd think that it would be uncomfortable having a freaking rock for a pillow, but it was strangely comforting.

"I'm gonna have so much shit to make up," he groaned, closing his eyes and resting his forehead on mine. Our breaths mingled.

"Luke, we already have more than half of it done. Jess said he would bring today's tonight so you'll be fine."

Jessie had stayed with Luke the first time I went home to take a shower and nap but as soon as I was back, he'd had to go home to sleep himself. School was crazy with people already speculating that I was a bitch for ruining the school's Golden Boy. Jess was the only one that sided with me on everything and stayed by my side. Beth hadn't spoken to me, her other friends apparently turned her on me.

I couldn't care less. All I cared about was Luke being safe and I would be happy.

"What time is it, Kay?" he asked.

I turned my head so that I could see the clock that was over the doorway. "6:17."

"He said 6:30, right?"

"Yeah," I said, my thoughts wondering elsewhere.

It was quiet while I thought. Thought about how incredibly different things were now from two weeks ago. Luke and I knew we felt something towards each other. I knew a whole lot more about his family, and he basically knew my whole life story.

"What's wrong, baby girl? You feeling okay?" he asked, kissing my forehead. He'd started doing that a lot nowadays.

"I'm fine, just thinking," I answered, smiling up at him.

"About?" That was the other thing about Luke. He wanted to know everything, and I was having less and less trouble telling him everything.

"Us," I whispered.