Chapter Thirty: Luke

Chapter Thirty

Luke

Kaylee. Legal guardian. Twins. Oh God.

She pretty much just rushed from then on. After hanging up the phone, she ran to our bedroom and put on her undergarments while grabbing a pair of jeans and a shirt from a chair. She brushed through her hair with her fingers but ended up putting it into a high ponytail.

I'm not gonna lie, but a hurried Kaylee is a scary thing to see.

The next thting I knew, she plopped down on the bed, buried her head into her hands, and started crying again. I was by her side in a flash and she wrapped her arms around me.

I held her tight, not knowing what the future would hold for us now, but feeling that these next few days would determine the rest of our lives. It was a scary thought that I decided not to voice, understanding that Kaylee didn't need anymore worry and stress in her life.

"Kaylee, babe. Everything's gonna be okay," I cooed. It seemed to soothe her as her breathing got calmer.

"Luke," she said looking at me. Her face was full of pain and loss. "I understand if you want to leave me. I completely understand. I'm no longer just a nineteen year old girl. I'm a freaking legal guardian to two little newborn babies. I just need to know now... Where we stand, what you want," she whispered.

I was shocked. I wanted her. I knew how I felt about her but I wasn't sure if she'd want me here with her. Maybe the loss of the last family she had would tear her apart from me. I could feel the weight of my heart, beating heavily. I don't know what I'd do if she decided that she didn't want me anymore.

"Kaylee, I love you. But I understand if you don't want me to be here," I began, giving her an option, the one option that would definitely end up killing me. "Just please, don't shut me out. If it was up to me, I'd be here with you forever. But I don't know what you want."

She was now crying harder and I wondered if I'd said the wrong thing again. I just couldn't do anything right!

"Luke," she moaned, still crying. "I need you to stay with me. But I can't force you to do this. I guess, I have baggage in the form of two innocent babies and I understand if you don't want this." Kaylee looked up at me with bright eyes, red from crying.

The fact that she said she needed me sent me to places I'd never been before. I felt like I was twenty feet tall. I couldn't believe that she felt the same way. Even through this dilemma.

Roughly, I grabbed her face between my palms and looked deep into her eyes, being careful not to lose myself in her gaze. "I've said it millions of times before...once more can't hurt: I love you Kaylee and I'm sure that these babies will have my love, too. Sure, I was hoping for Evan and Lily when we were a little older but life throws you curveballs."

Her face broke out into a grin. "I thought you played football," she joked.

I quickly pecked her lips and pulled away. "C'mon, we have to pack some things and go already."

Half an hour later, we were on the road in my new truck. Kaylee was on the phone with my mom at the moment, telling what had happened and that we would be away for a while, settling all the legal affairs. She held one of my hands tightly in one of her own.

The hospital was only half an hour away and there was no traffic considering it was two in the afternoon on a Saturday. Even though it was December, the sky was blue and the sun shone bright.

"Ok," Kaylee said, absentmindedly nodding. "We'll see you soon...I mean, I guess...he's driving...I'll let him call you once we're there...ok, bye!"

Yeah, my mom liked to talk. A lot. And she was driving Kaylee crazy but I knew that she didn't really mind.

"What'd she say?" I asked, amused.

"What didn't she say?" Kaylee asked me back, still holding my hand. "She's planning on meeting us at the hospital once her shift's over. I told her to wait a little while, take a shower, and rest up, then come meet us."

I sighed.

"I feel like I'm a mom without having the nine months to get ready for it!" she said, rubbing her face with one hand, squeezing my hand with her other.

I smiled. "I know baby, but we'll be fine. There's two of us."

"And two of them," she said, smiling again.

We finally reached the hospital and Kaylee pretty much ran into the front desk. "Hello, my name's Kaylee Burnett. Is Nurse Campbell here?"

"Ah, Ms. Burnett," a woman said walking around the corner. "Nice to meet you, follow me this way."

Nurse Campbell took off and Kaylee and I rushed to follow her.

"Now, considering the circumstances, you are legally old enough to take care of these babies, but if you choose not to, they will be given to an orphanage in the city. They will be taken care of by the government if you so choose."

Guilt trip.

"I want them," Kaylee quickly said, after looking at me and seeing me nod furiously. "I just want to see them."

The nurse kept walking until we reached the big window everyone sees in the movies. The nursery was painted all different pastel colors and I imagined the twins' room that color.

Right in front of us were six plastic baskets holding babies. The nurse left us on the outside and went inside, pointing to the babies from the inside.

I wrapped my arms around Kaylee, enjoying this moment too much for my own good.

Kaylee

Beautiful. The babies were adorable. Currently, Luke and I were sitting in a big loveseat rocking chair. I had little Lily in my arms, and Luke had Evan.

The nurse had explained to us how Mindy hadn't gotten the chance to name the babies and it was really up to us. We didn't even think twice.

I hated to think that Luke was feeling forced to do this. I'd given him the chance to say no. But still. The look of complete adoration on his face was more than enough to let me know that he'd fallen in love with these babies just like I had.

"Ms. Burnett, the babies are discharged. If you would just sign these papers, you can go ahead and take them home."

We'd been in the hospital for five days. Mrs. C. came by the first night and I made her a list of things she'd have to buy for us and the babies. She quickly left, after kissing the four of us on our foreheads, to go set up the nursery. The library room I had set up for myself was now a nursery. Never thought that'd happen.

I lifted Lily and placed her gently in Luke's spare arm, getting up softly to sign the papers. The look on his eyes was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. I wanted to cry. I knew this was the right thing to do. I could do it. I could take care of them.

 Minutes after, Luke and I were putting the babies in their new car seats. We had them set in the back seat of Luke's truck.. For the first time in my life, I was glad to have such a huge monster as a vehicle. I knew it would take care of the twins. They were wrapped in little blankets and had mittens and socks and hats on. It was so cold outside.

I'd gotten a call from Mrs. C. a couple of hours before letting me know that the basic necessities were ready. The babies had diapers, bottles, formula, wipes, beds, and a bunch of little toys. Clothes were minimal; she wanted Luke and I to pick more out. The winter getup was needed,as well as the seats.

But now we were heading home with two new babies and integrants to the family. I'd never been happier.

Aw...that's so cuteeee hahaha. Hope you liked it! There's five chapters left :( can't believe it's gone by sooo fast!

Song of the day is Blanco by Pitbull. I don't remember if I already put this one down but I love this songgg.