Chapter Fourteen: Jessie

Chapter Fourteen:

Jessie

"What's wrong?" she asked, as soon as she swung the door open.

"Luke."

Her face fell. "What happened?" she asked again, quickly pulling on one of the coats by her coat hanger and grabbing her car keys off of a little hook. She pulled on a pair of flip flops.

She stepped outside of her house and locked the door with another key in those rings.

"He's in the hospital. He had an accident. The first thing he asked for was you. As soon as the asshole came back he went on a rampage asking about you."

Kaylee was now running next to me to my car. We reached it and took off, not wasting any time.

"What the hell happened? Why would he be worried about me?"

"I don't know. All I do know is he was heading to the bar when he crashed against a truck. The kid somehow made it out alive." I let the anger I felt towards Luke show.

My best friend was currently on a hospital bed, and I couldn't do anything but go get the girl he was crying out for. I didn't really understand their relationship. We'd been friends back in elementary school, but Luke and I veered towards sports in middle school. We still talked occasionally during middle school, but once high school hit, I was sure I was the only one that spoke to her.

So this sudden interest in Kaylee's welfare caught me by surprise. Why would he even consider Kaylee? He called out for her before he did for his mother, according to Mrs. C. She sounded pretty heartbroken when I answered the phone.

Kaylee's choked voice made me look at her. She looked like she was trying to say something but couldn't come up with words.

So only one chapter tonight. Simply because I need to keep your interest somehow. I'm really hoping that this story can get up to the double digits on the What's Hot list...so please, please, keep voting and commenting. Tomorrow will be Kaylee's POV and we'll see from there ;)