Chapter Twenty Six: Luke

Chapter Twenty Six

Luke

I had become a master at pretending to be asleep. Step one, make my body go limp and relaxed. This would lead to the completion of step two, make my breathing controlled and relaxed, as well.

I knew I had her fooled when I felt her hand touch my face gently. The shock that traveled through my skin was immense. It felt so good. I wish she'd just kiss me already.

She finally stopped and pushed herself closer to me, sighing deeply and then settling down. I don't know why I didn't just go to sleep. It wasn't like I'd be able to do anything anyway. I was too scared of waking her up.

Without realizing it, I was falling asleep, listening to her heart beating and her breathing.

"Luke, wake up."

I shook my head. "No, five more minutes."

Her laugh made me realize that, no, I was, in fact, not at home with my nagging mother waking me up.

"Lukeyboy," she teased.

I opened my eyes. "What time is it?"

"One in the morning," she answered with a smile.

"Why the hell did you wake me up?" I asked, groaning.

"The whole point of you being here was so that I could wake you up every few hours."

Oh, yeah. "Right. Thanks Kay."

"No prob big boy. Go back to sleep," she said, touching my face gently.

"Luke! It's morning. Wake up!"

I had to smile and my eyes opened. "Morning, baby girl."

"Morning," she said.

She was on top of me. Literally. I was on my back, facing the ceiling, and she was pretty much sprawled on top of me, but it felt so good that I didn't say anything. Her head a foot above mine.

Kaylee had woke me up two times in the night, but I was pretty much dead asleep both times. I could barely remember what she'd said to me either time because I'd gone right back to sleep.

I wrapped my arms around her and just kept smiling.

"How'd you sleep, babe?" I asked her, yawning.

"Good. You?" She laid her head on my chest and hugged me back.

I didn't think that there was ever going to be a bad night's sleep with her by my side, but I didn't say that. "Apart from you waking me up so much, just swell."

Suddenly, she lifted her head off my chest and said, "Well that's what I'm here for Lukeyboy." With a giggle, she added, "Let's go. Breakfast time."

"I don't wanna," I said, turning to the side, grinning as she fell off me.

"Stop being such a big baby!" She said, laughing.

We stayed there for a little while.

"Kay, I think I forgot to tell you, but the boys..." I felt anger rise in me and I hated myself for being a cripple.

Her hand went to my cheek and stroked softly. "Yeah?"

"The boys are playing a game tonight at the high school. It's a friendly match for junior varsity," I continued.

"Oh," she said, understanding why it pissed me off even though I hadn't said anything.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?" I asked, unsurely.