Chapter Twenty Three: Kaylee

Kaylee

Ringggg-ringggg.

I quickly took my phone out of my pocket and stared at the unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Kaylee. It's Luke. He's on a stretcher, and things don't look good. He's being rushed on an ambulance to the hospital."

What? My heart wrenched and I felt like I was falling and would never be able to get back up....

"Kaylee? Baby? Kay?" I kept hearing.

Suddenly, I sat upright on the bed. And hit something hard.

"Ouch. Shit," I heard. Luke.

I sighed when I opened my eyes and realized it was a dream.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, you?"

"Fine." Luke softly rubbed his forehead, inevitably where I'd hit him by mistake.

"Sorry," I said, and he nodded.

I saw him through watery eyes but I realized that some tears had already dried around my eyes.

"You were crying in your sleep baby girl. Had me freaking worried. I tried shaking you but nothing worked."

"Bad dream," I whispered. I lay back down on the bed and closed my eyes.

"What happened Kaylee?"

"Just..." I took one look at his face and determined that he would never let this go. "I dreamt that you got hurt in a game, and Jessie called, and you were on a stretcher, and....and..."

I was slowly crying again, remembering the agony I'd felt in that dream.

"Baby, shh. I'm right here. Nothing happened." Luke wrapped his arm around me and stroked my head, kissing my cheeks and forehead.

"It just felt so real," I whispered, gripping hin tight.

"Nothing happened," he repeated.

"But something did happen Luke! You're in the freaking hospital!" I said, nervous again.

"I'm being discharged today. Mom came in while you were sleeping and told me that I'm good to go."

The good news almost erased all the bad thoughts away. I managed a smile, knowing that that was what he was looking for.

"I'm gonna have to go to Jessie's though," he added.

"How come?" I asked. Maybe he'd want to come with me instead.

"I have to be woken up every few hours, something the doctor suggested. Mom's gonna be here a lot and Dad...well, I don't know what the fuck is up his ass. So, Jess said I could go to his."

I pouted.

He smiled and kissed my lips. "Why the pout beautiful girl?"

I blushed and he nuzzled my nose.

In that moment, Jessie came into the room with a look on his face that I hadn't seen before.

"Hey man. Hi, Kay."

"Hi Jess," Luke and I said at the same time.

"Luke, I have some bad news."

"Really? What about?" Luke asked, holding me tight against his chest.

"My mom. She doesn't trust us to be at home by ourselves. She thinks we're gonna throw some sort of rager!"

I laughed out loud and was thrown gazes by the guys. "What? It's not like she's wrong in guessing."