Chapter Eleven: Luke

Chapter Eleven:

Luke

            She finally calmed down enough to take a couple of deep breaths. I couldn't hurt her. I knew that. It was a surprise to find that she didn't know that.

            "You okay, now?" I asked her. I realized that she had somewhat just admitted that she liked me. Truth was, I was having feelings, too. But I didn't know if they were new or just old memories. I just didn't know how to react to it. How should I tell her? Should I tell her? I couldn't find an answer.

            She nodded against my chest. "Yeah," she whispered.

            I could tell that she wasn't really okay but I decided to leave it at that.

            I grabbed her chin and turned her face towards me. "Listen to me Kay. I like you, I truthfully do. You're beautiful, smart, sweet, and funny."

            Ah shit. How was I supposed to say this without causing myself or her some pain?

            "But?" she prompted, tears gathering in her eyes again.

            I quickly bent my face to kiss the tears away and continued, "But I don't know if I'm ready to be in a relationship. I have so much stress in my life. I don't want to bring you into that and then realize that we both ended up hurt for nothing."

            Holy mother. Did I not sound like some guy off of a soap opera right there? The talents of Luke Confalite. I'm such a fucking ass.

            She simply nodded and got off my lap. In the next second, she was wiping away her tears while putting on her seatbelt. She put the car back in drive and we were off to the bar.

            Great. I just upset her. Again. Way to be Luke!

            She sighed and I sighed. "Kay. I don't want things to go back to the way they were before though."

            She spared me a glance and nodded.

            "I'm serious, Kaylee. I want us to be friends again."

            I knew how much that would hurt me but what was I supposed to do? Now that I'd spent a day with her, I wanted to keep getting to know her. There were so many things to know.

            She nodded again, fully knowing that it was bothering me.

            "Kaylee, damn," I whispered, trying not to take out my frustration on her, even though she was the cause for it. "I want to try."

            We had reached the bar and she parked in an open place right next to my truck. She quickly unlocked the doors.

            I opened it wordlessly and sighed.

            "Kaylee, I'm sorry, babe," I said before I took a step out.

            That got some sort of reaction out of her.

            "I told you not to call me that," Kaylee growled through her gritted teeth. She was pissed!

            "Yeah, well. You know I don't listen very well." Wrong, very wrong thing to say, Lucas.

            She shook her head, but not in amusement. "Get the hell out of my car."