Chapter Twenty Four: Kaylee

Chapter Twenty Four

Kaylee

I drove in silence, hearing Luke breathe. I felt like a creeper but then again, it's not like I'm recording it. The sound soothed me and I found myself more relaxed.

Fifteen minutes later, I reached the apartment and turned off the engine. Luke looked so peaceful and I almost didn't have the heart to wake him up.

I opened the trunk and reached for our things, carrying everything. I bent over the trunk, trying to get Luke's backpack, whose strap was stuck on the seat. Stupid Luke. Making things complicated.

Smack. Oh hell no.

"Did you just smack my ass Lucas?!" I yelled, knowing it was him. I quickly grabbed his bag and straightened myself out.

He was grinning ear-to-ear. "Who, me? Never!"

I tried so hard not to laugh. But he was just too adorable.

"What happened to behaving?" I asked.

"I'll say it again, my mom's not here, baby girl. She doesn't have to know," he whispered, his eyes widening.

"Loser," I teased.

Luke wrapped his arms around me and brought his face down to mine. "Yeah, but I'm your loser," he whispered. And pecked my lips.

I gulped. "We need to talk, Luke."

He frowned immediately and let go of me. "Why? What's wrong?"

I sighed. "Let's just...get inside," I answered. Luke grabbed our bags, carrying them himself as I locked my car.

It seemed like he was trying to get inside as fast as possible by the way he sprinted to my door.

I reached ahead of him to unlock it and we entered. I turned on the light and Luke put our bags on one of the loveseats.

"Ok, what do you wanna talk about?" he asked, turning around to look at me.

I sighed. "Don't freak out Luke. It can wait," I said, trying to calm him down. He looked like he was about to have a panic attack.

"Well when a guy hears those four words, the first reaction is to freak out," he said, trying to justify himself.

I laughed. "I know, big boy. That's why I'm telling you that you don't have to. Just go take a shower and we'll talk after."

He nodded and looked around. "Where's my stuff?"

I walked to my room and found a duffel bag on my bed. "Here," I called out.

"Wonder where Jessie went off to," Luke mumbled, strolling into the bedroom.

I was wondering the same thing myself. "Maybe he's at home, getting his own things."

"Eh, I'll call him later," Luke said.

I shrugged and walked out to the kitchen, while Luke headed off to the bathroom.

"Towel's where you found it last time," I yelled out to him.

"Thanks, baby!" He yelled back. My heart fluttered.

Ten minutes later, Luke walked out of the bathroom with his dirty clothes in his hands and wet hair.

"Where's the laundry?" he asked me.

I was in the kitchen, sipping on some tea, watching the news on the TV. I'd been lucky enough to get one of the select apartments in the complex that actually had a laundry room.