7: Hazel Eyes

Kaitlyn POV

Since I was a little girl, I have asked my mom for a brother, never thinking I would get one. After spending a few hours with Killer/Kyle, I noticed our similarities. How his eyes glass over as he processes and thinks through new information. He overthinks just as I do, and his facial expressions give away his emotions. Although not as bad as I do.

I turned his world upside down and he seems to have taken it better than I did. However, I still wasn't sure if he wanted me to stay, or if he felt obligated. Kyle may be blood, but family isn't simple, and this relationship is complicated.

While Whiskey and Ace walked around the exterior of the house, Kyle stayed with me, which was new to me. My entire life it's always been me and my younger sister, and of the two of us, I am the overprotective one. It doesn't matter if we get into a huge fight, or aren't in the same state, I will always be there for her, and she for me. It's the unspeakable bond siblings share, and now I have another. But with Killer being an alpha biker, that is something I don't quite know how to navigate yet.

"Can I ask you something?" Kyla asked, sitting with me on the couch. "What are you doing this far north in Washington?"

"When I was eighteen, I visited Washington and took a train to Vancouver, B.C. and I fell in love with the coastal line on the northernmost tip of Washington. There was just something about where the sea met the land and a tiny town I fell in love with. All these years later, here I am. I don't really have a plan and need to find a job, but I made it and that's always the hardest part," I answered.

Killer smiled, looking genuinely happy I landed here. The guys came back inside, and Whiskey gave the "all clear", while Ace stared at me from the opposite side of the living room.

Whiskey plopped down in an armchair with a mischievous grin. "How did you know Ace was outside? I won't lie. It was impressive," he pointed out, amused.

I gave a small smile. "I heard your bikes come up the street. There was more than one bike just from the sound," I shrugged. "Plus, the bike previously in the driveway was gone, but Whiskey still looked over his shoulder when he came into the house," I answered.

Glancing at Ace, who gave a slight inclination of surprise, I said, "Sometimes it's not about who does or doesn't notice you, but what others notice. You're not as invisible as you think you are," I whispered. Ace's hazel eyes looked at me and seemed pleased.

"Damn, a badass, and she's smart. You're in trouble there, brother. And so are you," Whiskey said, looking over at Ace. "She noticed you before you even knew who she was and that is something no one can do," he laughed.

I blushed, unsure if what Whiskey said was a good thing or a bad one. Ace's gaze was on me again, but I couldn't look him in the eye. Whiskey's comment upset him as Ace tensed again, clenching his fists.

Playing with the blanket, my stomach growled. Getting off the couch, I headed for the kitchen but stopped. This isn't my place. Can I use the kitchen? Does Killer want to cook?

Turning around, Whiskey and Killer got up, grabbing their things like they were about to leave. Killer stepped up to me and wrapped me in a hug. "Whiskey and I have to head back to the club for a bit, but I will be back tonight," he promised.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Ace will stay, but if you don't feel comfortable, then he can wait outside," he stated. His seriousness told me it was my decision.

"I don't mind if he stays...as long as he wants to be here, too," I said, looking over at Ace.

Ace made his way over to stand in front of me. I took a step back, instinctively because he was so tall, but Ace stopped immediately and didn't move. Shit. I looked down and was about to say sorry when his deep, gravelly voice filled the room.

"I'll stay, Angel, but the choice is yours. Not mine."

Angel? I am not an Angel. My friends even laughed when I put on an angel costume for fun because they know I am far from one. So why does Ace think I am?

Looking back at him, I nodded.

This is going to be a long night.

Killer kissed the top of my head, and I froze. I've never experienced someone caring for me the way Killer has. Especially in such a short amount of time, and it was overwhelming.

They left, leaving me alone with Ace, whom I knew nothing about. Sure, he is the club's enforcer, is beyond well-built, and commands a room when he speaks, but his presence was slightly intimidating. Dominating and powerful, and I am not used to someone like that.

Ace followed me into the kitchen as if I would run away, and he sat on the island. I opened the fridge and cupboards, looking for something but didn't know what. Turning around, I stared at Ace. Muscles bulged from under his black shirt, tattoos covering both arms, with some peeking out from under the collar of his shirt. The longer I stared, the more I wanted to know what he hid behind his hazel eyes.

Coming out of my trance, Ace raised his eyebrow slightly but otherwise sat like a statue, saying nothing.

Stop staring! You look like an idiot.

I leaned against the counter and asked, "So, what kind of food do you like? Or what is your favorite to eat?"

"I'll eat whatever you're having, Angel."

"Well, thanks for your trust in my cooking abilities, but if I'm going to be here with you, I might as well get to know you..."

Ace's lip twitched into a small smile for just a moment, but he still didn't answer me. Instead, he watched as I searched the kitchen, gathering ingredients, and eventually moved to the couch where he could still see me. Enforcers in clubs are aware of everything, and Ace was, but so was I, of him.

Killer had hardly any food, but I found enough to put something together. Gathering everything, I pulled off my sweatshirt and got to work. Pulling out my phone, I turned up my music, blocking out the world around me, keeping my anxiety down, and focusing on what was in front of me.

Half an hour later, dinner was ready, and I was about to make myself a plate when a movement in the doorway caught my eye.