29. Wanda and Evie

SEVEN DAYS AGO

Wanda would have held her sister-in-law's hand.

She had found Evie, many, many years after the last time they both had been together. Though
Wanda quickly learned that it hadn't been the same amount of time for her sister-in-law.

Wanda's gifts were a curse most of the time, but sometimes they were also a blessing. Reading minds meant that, in most cases, words were unnecessary.

Evie staggered in her living room. Drugged from pain and exhaustion, she ended up falling and sobbing on her kitchen floor the first night after the twins were born.

Wanda had been exhausted too and maybe a little bit lazy to tied up the invisible knot that hold them both together. Evie's unconscious mind tricks being too much for the new mother.

T

hey used to be very good friends. They used to talk everyday. To tell each other their deepest secrets, their fears. But the girl Wanda was watching in her kitchen floor is a unknown character.

She supposes it's ok, she would get used to this new Evie again.

It's just their first time alone after so long without seeing each other closely.

The twins are healthy, good and sleeping in their cribs. Evie surely isn't mentally healthy, good nor sleeping but, without anyone else seeing them both, Wanda allowed herself to free her sister-in-law thoughts just that she can rest a little bit more while the babies are still sleeping.

Then, she just remained shocked at Evie's suddenly burst of feelings.

"My Pietro's dead," Evie whispered, clinging to the woods tiles, unable to get back on her feet "All dead, all returned. Why not him!?"

Wanda's mind stayed blank at the scene in front of her very own pair of eyes.

Evangelina had fought against Thanos, by her side. The supposed side of the good ones, of the victors, but she had obtained nothing from her fight even when everyone else went home to their families and returned loved ones.

Neither had Wanda.

After the blip and with Thanos' army ready to conquer, Evie came back alongside with everyone else.

Coming out of a portal with eyes completely white (Pietro used to call it ">her radioactive kind of white<") and she had fought with such rage like Wanda hadn't seen before.
No words, no feelings but just rage and power explosions.

Evie's fully alien nature went out. Red and black marks, brightly words imprinted in her skin from languages of other dimensions. The image of a warrior born and raised.

Wanda remembered seeing her in the center of a mass of monsters: Her shirt had risen a little bit (Evie didn't wore armored suits like in the old times anymore, only ordinary clothes because she learned to be too fast to be touched) and Wanda had seen the deep marks of the pregnancy on her tattered skin.

Scratched flesh in her lower belly, non healed cuts from the tightened skin.

"Dead, dead, dead" Evie mumbles the non-sense "My Pietro's dead"

Wanda would have held her sister-in-law's hand while she was in labor. Even if it hurt her too, to know that her brother was no longer there with them.

He would have liked to be there, next to her, and he would have helped with her pain.

Wanda would have done anything to keep her niece alive.

But she hadn't been. Wanda hadn't been able to. The chance to help her sister-in-law had been taken from her, just as they had taken Pietro's life.

Disappeared. Discard. Dead.

Wanda had been dead too.

And Evie had been stranded in a dimension too far from her own. Betrayed by who she trusted most in the whole universe. Pregnant, weak and alone. Without a way to return home.

Their home.

Joy hadn't even survived her first week. A delicate baby growing up in a sterile environment, in a dimension where her parents didn't even exist.

Wanda covered Evie with her arms, the albino woman was shuddering.

Tears fell from Evie's eyes, heavy waterfalls that never seemed to be enough to cover all of their suffering.

A single tear dropped out of Wanda's left eye.

The scene was re-arranged.

"Babies!" Evie said, perfectly dressed, healed and with a void smile pointed at the twins' cribs "I love them!"