22. Loyalty Over Evan's Common Sense

"The people..." The Vision gasped "... need help"

Evan had been out of that universe for too long. He knew it.

But the events that had occurred since his arrival only confirmed it.

Gone were the days of mafias and iron men. Now, just for them, a much darker stage was opening up: The age of gods.

He knew it the moment he watched the Vision - that mechanized hybrid he had heard of many years ago - try to break through the barrier created by his Eva, wasting away to death in the process.

Few were the living beings capable of dealing with Eva's magic, much less in that weak, weak world. Evan was honestly impressed.

Such strenght for such futile goal...

Well, he surely was between impressed and terrified.

As a fragment of the Vision's shoulders faded, returning to the portal from which he had emerged, Evan felt more and more horrified.

This being was real, as was his suffering.

What the hell had they done?

First Peter and then Vision. Extraction and creation. Eva and Wanda. Separated, together, unbalanced.

What had they done? Evan wondered as he watched the edges of the barrier falter, how much more would they be able to do?

And

What was he waiting to intervene?

If here, now, the age of Gods opened, an age that in his Multiverses was more than "finished", what would become for his people now?

They needed him, yes, to keep them safe and balance. But he wouldn't lie to anyone, not to them. He had to fight the urge to go back to his Multiverse and leave these people deal with whom they have create.

But his duty now lays with Eva, at her side.

He had vowed to the Destiny to never abandon her again and he would not break a promise twice.

Evan Ra'lk-Uar found himself, for the first time in his whole life, terrified at the many paths that future could take.

A few minutos before, he had decided to stay after their talk at the compound, of course, to try and talk some sense into Doctor Lewis but now he faced the true purpose of his trip.

He could not postpone it anymore.

Evan had a scary decision to make. A betray to face.

Vision contracted on the ground in front of them, the barrier swaying dangerously, and Evan disappeared from view with a wave of his hands.