|Chapter 21| A Friend.

Day 5

"Tempester will be with you at all times," Zeref said. Next to him, was the bulky man named Tempester. He was one of the Demon Gates and Zeref's advisors.

Sylvia couldn't believe that Zeref was having him be her body guard. Was she really that high of a priority?

Well, she supposed, she did now know his weaknesses.

She had eaten breakfast with Zeref once more before coming back up to the room to find another, smaller bed made. It was lower to the ground and definitely not as extravagant as the king's bed, but it was fine with her.

What wasn't fine with her was the fact that she'd still be rooming with the king. He wanted her close, and that meant no personal space of her own- except to do her business in the washroom.

"And this is my maid, Jen," he waved over to the blonde woman next to him. "You may speak to her when you require something."

Sylvia could only nod. That was his way of saying, you can only speak to me, the Gates, and the damn maid.

Mavis, she wished she were kidnapped for the sole purpose of spilling his weaknesses. She'd spill her guts to them.

"Now then," he sighed, "I have work. Don't leave the castle." He began to leave the room as everyone bowed their heads.

Sylvia's eyes felt droopy, and honestly she could sleep for another day. However, the maid, Jen, had woken Sylvia up that morning. Sylvia guessed she would be sleep deprived for the rest of her days.

"I must go back to work too," Jen mentioned, "ring your bell if you need anything, Sylvia."

Sylvia nodded and Jen left.

"You seem quiet," Tempester noticed. "And tired, are you okay?"

Sylvia brought her hand up to her eyes and rubbed her eyelids, "remember how I said I have nightmares? Last night was really... bad."

Tempester hummed in understanding, "I think I can help. I can give you a tour of the castle, since you'll be here a while. We can visit the kitchen as well?"

Sylvia rose an eyebrow, "what's going to help me in the kitchen?"

He shrugged, "you'll see. I forget it's not so common in the lower classes."

The kitchen was on the same floor as the dining hall, which makes sense, and it was huge. Bigger than the bar kitchen, of course. Tons of pots and pans and wooden spoons, the clanging and yelling that happened in there was ridiculously loud.

But, Sylvia supposed, they had a lot of people to feed. There was a lot of staff in the castle, and of course they had to continually bring in new supplies and ingredients.

"Tempester," a female voice called.

A girl with green hair and eyes came up to them, wiping her hands on her dirty white apron. Her hair was up in a bun, with messy jade hairs sticking out.

Sylvia stared at her shoes, remembering what Zeref said about speaking to others.

"Hisui," Tempester said.

"Is this Miss Sylvia?" Hisui asked, switching her attention to Sylvia.

Tempester nodded, "yes, unfortunately the king has asked her not to converse with anyone in the castle."

"Oh," Hisui said before looking up at Tempester once more, "my apologies to the king. Is there anything you need?"

"Yes," he answered. "Do you happen to have any spare coffee for Sylvia? She's quite exhausted."