7 | sleeping beauty

Apparently the human body had an odd way of functioning. According to Pomfrey, Rose would be fine but she needed time to recover and because of this, she wasn't waking up. James didn't like the idea of her being out for a week and counting with no outward indication that she was actually in there.

Because what if - Merlin forbid - she wasn't okay. That this was just some shell of the former Rose and she wasn't even in there. That he had spent the past week refusing to leave the side of someone who wasn't even there.

"He's officially lost it," Sirius whispered to the other two as they watched James sit in the chair with his head in his hands. "I mean, has he even showered? When was the last time he ate?"

"Keep your voice down," Remus suggested. "He's not deaf."

"I agree with Moony," James announced, startling his three friends. "You really should shut up."

Sirius clamped his mouth shut knowing fully well that his friend was upset. He had been on edge since the moment he saw Rose on the ground, surrounded by her own blood. He had been snapping at anyone who said even the slightly wrong thing, even if they meant no harm. Lily and him were at a crossroads, barely speaking to each other even when they both sat at Rose's bedside.

Tonks was the only one who had no interest in placating James's behavior. When he yelled at her, she had no problem yelling right back. It was for the best, she seemed to humble him a bit and make him realize this wasn't about him, if only for a short amount of time.

"Any change?" Tonks spoke up from behind the three boys. They jumped slightly at her arrival, Remus being the first one to turn to face her. He almost immediately enveloped her in a hug which she gratefully accepted.

The pair's relationship had changed greatly over the past week. While they weren't together, so to speak, they were definitely more than just friends. Anyone could see that.

"No," Remus answered with a frown, his voice muffled slightly in her hair. "Still the same."

"Suppose that's better than nothing," she sighed, finding comfort in his arms. "She could have gotten worse."

Remus pulled away after a moment and Tonks crossed the room, taking the seat next to James. Her nose wrinkled slightly and she glanced over at the boy with a scowl, "Merlin, you smell awful." Sirius snickered, earning an elbow in the side from Remus. James scowled at the girl and she raised an eyebrow, "When she wakes up, do you know how unfortunate it will be if the first thing she has to smell is whatever you have going on here?" She gestured to him with her hand. "Are you immune to your own stench?"

"I'm not going to leave her," he pointed out and she rolled her eyes.

"She's not going anywhere, Potter," she reminded him. "You can go to classes. And more importantly, you can shower. Please, shower. For everyone's sake. I can't imagine your girlfriend is fond of this."

"But-" he tried but she waved her hand.

"Go," she ordered with a wave of her hand. "Preferably before I throw up."

James scowled at the girl but much to everyone's surprise, he got up from the chair. Clearly not prepared for the sudden exertion of energy after doing nothing for a week, he grew light headed. He steadied himself on the arm of the chair and closed his eyes for a brief moment.

He shook his head slightly before making his way out of the room, earning looks from not only the boys but Pomfrey who had returned from wherever she had been. She watched the boy stalk off with an intrigued expression, "Finally."

"Oh, thank Merlin," Rose muttered and everyone's head snapped in her direction. Her voice was raspy seeing as she hadn't talked in awhile. "He really did smell awful."