16 | duelling club

Rose Evans had never been more grateful than she was when she stepped off the Hogwarts Express and onto the platform in Hogsmeade. Being back at Hogwarts meant it would be easy for her to avoid James at all costs.

It was the perks of going to school in a literal castle.

She made sure that no matter what class she was in, Tonks was glued to her hip and with that, Remus was as well.

"I'm not saying you need to forgive him," Tonks said pointedly. "He was a dick and he deserves whatever is coming for him."

"Why do I feel like there's a but coming along?"

"But," Remus added. "I think he knows he royally fucked up. He's miserable."

"As he should be."

"Rose," Tonks tried. "Talk to him."

Rose narrowed her eyes at the pair, "I'm really starting to regret forcing Tonks to talk to you. Had I known you were just going to gang up on me, I would have just let her continue her pining from afar."

"We're not ganging up on you," she pointed out, her pink hair turning slightly red. "There's a Hogsmeade weekend coming up. He's asked that we try and get you to meet him. We're just relaying a message."

"Why didn't he ask me himself?"

"Because when he tried to talk to you, you hexed him."

"Did I?" she inquired, acting as though she had no idea what she was talking about. "I'm sure I had a reason."

Remus stifled a laugh, "He said 'hello.'"

"It's all about intent, Lupin," Rose pointed out, "Was he really just saying 'hello'?"

Before Tonks or Remus could reply, there was a cracking noise and three letters appeared falling onto the table in front of the each of them. Rose picked hers up and examined it, "Well, that was dramatic."

"What do you think it is?" Tonks inquired.

"Only one way to find out," she shrugged before opening it. She scanned the letter with a raised eyebrow, "Since when did we have a dueling club?"

The pair across from her opened their letters as well. "Guess we'll find out when we go see Dumbledore," Tonks replied.

The three gathered their belongings and started toward the Headmasters office. They all remained silent, no doubt stuck in their head on what Dumbeldore's intention was.

They used the password given to them before descending the staircase. Upon entering the office, they found that four others were already there. Sirius, Peter, Lily and, of course, James.

They all settled down, Rose sitting in the seat farthest from James leaving them at the ends of the group. Everyone remained silent as they waited for the Headmaster to speak but Rose grew impatient, "So?"

Dumbeldore went on to explain what exactly he meant by the letter and what he wanted them to do. He explained that he was starting up a dueling club and he knew that the seven of them were the top of their class and would do good in helping others further their skill.

"Let me just make sure I'm understanding this clearly," Rose spoke as she leaned forward in her chair, resting her elbows on her knees. "You want us to lead your little club like it's some group project?"

"If that's how you wish to put it, then yes," he agreed, leaning back and resting his hands on his abdomen. "It's like a group project."

"You know, that sounds like a great idea," Sirius announced and everyone turned to look at him in surprise. He should have been the last to agree. "And I think I know who should lead this endeavor."

"Sirius is right," Lily nodded quickly. "There's only two people who would fit the role of teacher perfectly." Remus and Tonks exchanged a look as Peter just watched in confusion. "James and Rose."

Rose snorted at this, "That's likely."

"It's perfect, really," she informed her. "You two are the best duelers here and while we're good, we'll be better as helpers."

"It's an awful idea."

"Don't be such a downer, Rosmerta," Sirius suggested and she narrowed her eyes at the name he chose to call her. "You two make the perfect team."

She scowled at him, "Shut the hell up, Black."

"I agree," Dumbledore spoke and everyone turned to look at him in surprise. "Potter and you have the most experience in terms of outside the classroom duels." Rose's gaze flickered over to James and they exchanged a wary glance, no doubt thinking back to Diagon Alley. There was no way the Headmaster knew about that, did he? "It would be beneficial to everyone partaking if you two took the lead."

"Lovely," Rose muttered, "Fine, when do we start?"