13 | meeting the parents

"And what do you plan to do after you graduate, dear?" one of the twin's aunt's asked James as they all sat at the table.

"He's going to be a detective of sorts," Rose explained, not bothering to look up from the book she was reading. "You know, like Batman. Only his parents are still alive and Bruce Wayne is much hotter."

The lunch had been going surprisingly well for James. Rose, on the other hand, wanted nothing more than to lock herself away in her room until the boy was gone.

James grew confused at this and he turned to Lily and mouthed, 'Batman?' Lily merely shook her head, shooting her sister a glare.

Rose shrugged, taking a sip from her drink. The beverage was the only thing getting her through the meal without tearing her eardrums out.

"I'm going to go get a jacket," Lily announced some time later. She removed the napkin from her lap and stood up. "Rose, would you come with me?"

The girl raised an eyebrow at this, "I didn't realize that it was a two person job but alright." Rose stood up as well and joined her sister before the pair made their way upstairs.

As soon as they were upstairs and Lily grabbed a hold of Rose's arm and turned her around. "You have got to be kidding me!" Lily exclaimed. "Really, Rose? Where did you even get it?"

"I haven't the slightest clue as to what you're talking about," Rose replied, pulling her arm from her sister's grasp. She made her way toward Lily's room, "It'll take us time to find your jacket so how about we do that."

"I don't need my jacket," Lily stated and Rose huffed. "What's in the cup, Rose?"

"A drinkable liquid," she answered simply. Rose looked around her sister's room, "You cleaned up. I'm surprised."

"You really couldn't make it through one day in the same room as him?"

Rose shook her head, "This has nothing to do with him."

"Doesn't it though?" she countered. "Why else would you be acting like this?"

"Maybe it's because Uncle Bobby wasn't here to be the drunk disappointment so someone had to fill in."

"I'll go get you some water," Lily announced and Rose shook her head.

"Don't bother."

"You need to sober up at least a little before we leave for the Potter's."

Rose rolled her eyes, "I'm not going to the Potter's."

"You don't have a choice," Lily pointed out. "Mom and dad have plans to leave."

"I talked to mom and dad," she replied. "They said I'm good to stay here on my own. Besides, Petunia will still be here. She has more stuff to move into her house with Vernon."

"They're moving in together?" Lily asked in surprise.

"I'm drunk and even I listened to the conversation today," Rose huffed. "They got engaged while we were at school, Lily. The wedding is in a month."

"It is?" she gaped.

Rose rolled her eyes again, "Why don't you go talk to Petunia about this and leave me alone?"

"Is everything okay?" James spoke up from the door and Rose scoffed.

"And there he is! The man of the hour: James Potter!" Rose exclaimed and the boy turned to look at her. "Here to save your damsel in distress, I take it?"

"Everything's fine," Lily stated as she glanced back at James. "We'll be down in a minute."

James opened his mouth to reply but Rose spoke first. "No, no," she shook her head. "I was just up here to refill," she explained, raising the glass she had been drinking from all night and tucking the flask into her pocket. "I will see you two later. Or if I'm lucky, you'll be gone before I can say goodbye."