Chapter 10: The World is Cruel to Us (Last Chapter)

-One year later-

Can watched the church just down the road. A small white church near to the hotel where he was staying. The rooms that Yates booked for close friends and family attending his wedding. Today huh? Thought Can, making love with the smell of memories. Can knew the streets around this small town long before Yates Reynolds became a famous director. He had often stayed over several times, usually on the mattress that was laid out in Yates's room.

Yates would timidly apologize for his house. Can never understood why he needed to apologize. Yes, the house was just a simple house, high with many repairs. It looked a little frail with the wooden attic above it. But Can never made a big deal about it.

Can never understood sometimes why Yates always had constant thoughts about their inequality.

Might be because Can was from the best place in the world, Yates assumed. After many years, after Yates had become a famous director and would get married. Strata should not be a problem for them anymore. Yates kept commenting, "I've finally got enough money so you don't sleep on that flea-infested mattress."

Can commented that Yates exaggerated.

Then Yates reminded him of big infection in his back after outrageous itching and Can scratched too hard. Bed bugs were humanity's main enemy, Yates reminded Can of his own words years ago.

But Can still didn't understand the part about Can came from the best place in the world.

Can wasn't sure there was a place that could be called the best place in the world.

Can told Tin about it on a video call last night, when Tin was waiting for his suitcase at Heathrow International Airport. Tin just got back from New York last night, just finishing the first leg of his concert tour in America. Can was sitting cross-legged, had been lazing about choosing the cable TV channel provided by his hotel when his phone rang, an incoming call from Tin.

"You know what the best place in the world is?" Can reached for the strawberry-flavored Pocky spread out on the bed. While Sammy was busy with her wedding and wouldn't suddenly come into the room and scold him because his bed was full of food crumbs.

Tin tidied his hair which had not been combed. Can knew Tin had wiped his face. But there were traces of sweat on his forehead. Can's brain supplied two thoughts "Yesterday he was being hygienic, scolding as nag as Sammy but he got on a plane without taking a shower!" and "Damn it! Why does he look super sexy?" After Tin commented on Can's pocky choice, "That's pretty gay, Can."

To which Can replied quickly, "You are not allowed to say that now just because you fucked me, you're still like half straight."

Tin laughed out loud. Mark who appeared behind Tin gave him a questioning glare.

Before Tin replied with another lame comment, Can repeated his question, "Do you know the best place in the world?"

Which was replied with a new question by Tin 'with very helpful', "You were just browsing through Tumblr again, huh? Where did these guesses come from?"

Can gave up in his loud sigh. Deliberately showing him disturbed by Tin's behavior that was getting more childish at night. Tin needs his pretty sleep, Can thought.

"Seriously, Tin. Yates always comments about us being a higher-ranking couple, you know. Some kind of aristocratic or something? Sounds like bullshit to me, but apparently people really think about that kind of thing. And I still don't get it. And ... and-" Can paused because biting Pocky, then he continued speaking while chewing, "Yeah ... Like ... I try to analyze that-"