Chapter 7.2

"You look fine, Mr. Davis," Sammy added a crisp laugh at the end of her comment as Mark turned towards her. The two of them accidentally met at a notary office, law firm, well something like that. Sammy needed legal advice from her friend for a contract offered to Can. And Mark needed to see one of their best lawyers to report a fraud case that made a loss to the cosmetics brand company that was under the wing of the Haverfield company.

Mark pointed to the bags in his eyes, which had piled up because he didn't get enough sleep for nearly 3 nights. Telling it to his workaholic boss, especially after the current fate of his love was hanging uncertainly. "You still have lousy humor, Mrs. Reynolds," Mark put a witty smile at the end of his sentence. Sammy laughed.

"Still Coates, our wedding is still a year away."

"Getting married in the fall? It sounds a little melancholy."

"On the bright side, the price of wedding and building rent is a little cheaper than spring or summer weddings," Sammy chuckled.

"Yeah. Point." Mark took a deep breath and tidied up some of the folders he was carrying and then sitting with Sammy in the waiting room. "So ... Can? Still angry?"

Sammy frowned, before removing her glasses and turning to Mark to answer the question. "I'm not sure calling it as angry is the right word. He was more like disappointed." Then the silence for a moment was like calculating, "And stubborn. But that's Candace Grant for you."

Mark nodded. It was Sammy's turn to ask, "Actually I wish Tin was more stubborn than Can. More unyielding, I mean he's Haverfield."

Mark looked at Sammy confusedly. "I've dealt with Haverfield all my life, Sammy. And we don't use the phrase never give up for the Haverfield family. They do not survive to have big businesses and are in the ranks of noble families because of their unyielding nature. More because of tactics. Nearly cunning."

"Well, I don't see sending Can a vinyl record with a song or two and aphorisms as something that tactical. I expected more direct confrontation."

"I do too, I guess. But Tin told about their last meeting which didn't go well. It was not detailed but it looked bad." Mark answered uncertainly. "Tin is someone who is persistent usually, tends to force his every wish to be fulfilled. But I think Can is something special for him. He's not pushy, but he hasn't given up yet."

"I don't get it."

"Yeah. We're in the same boat, I guess."

Then a female secretary called Sammy's name and they parted with only a handshake and a small nod like a colleague who was just discussing business.

***

The large chandelier in the Haverfield family dining room was dimly lit. A lonely night was accompanied by the sound of light rain outside. Their dining room was close to a large veranda on the second floor. If you looked down you could see a large magnificent garden. Apart from this dining room which was renovated a year ago not much had been changed from this old house. Of course, there had been renovations from year to year but only maintenance.

Tin suggested changing the atmosphere of their dining room to make it feel more modern so that their business guests of all ages would not be treated to old things as long as they walked around the house. Tin managed to convince his father to change the walls of the room to white from gray, with the sides of the top and bottom edges were decorated with red and white rose patterned tiles that twisted against a pretty green background. And replacing the old unused wax wall hangings with small lights that helped light up the dining area. Their dining table wasn't replaced but Tin asked one of his acquaintances to repaint and fix some worn parts and he also changed boring brown chairs to white ones with soft ivory-white cushions.