Chapter 6.5

The ringing of a cell phone was a dilemma in itself for humans, Tin thought. He felt guilty when he put it on silent mode and missed important calls. But he was also pissed off with himself for setting a deafening ringing and waking him up at ... what time was it? Tin hurriedly looked with half sleepy eyes. Who would be brave enough to wake Austin Haverfield at three in the morning?!

"Hello?" Tin quickly sat up at the sound of greeting him on his cell phone. Candace Grant. Of course. Tin should have seen the caller ID before he reflexively took the call.

Now Tin stammered his answer, "H - hi," Tin's nervous waking up turned into a confusing mix of feelings.

Tin thought Can would start cursing at him when all he received was a few moments of silence. So he went back to saying, "It's 3 AM in the morning, Can. This should be important because won't you be back shooting tomorrow?"

"You still know my schedule?" Tin simply regretted what he had said earlier. He prepared various sentences if one day he would come back to talk to Can. However, that one day Tin never planned to do it at three in the morning. "It's two past forty-seven minutes to be precise."

"Really, Can?" Tin tried to hold back his irritation. "You called me just to talk about this?"

"I just want to talk the truth."

That sentence made Tin bite his lip nervously. Returning to the situation, Tin felt guilty again and Can's sigh even sounded judgmental to him.

"Why did you send me a vinyl record?"

For real? Tin wasn't quite sure why. It was like back when Tin kissed Can suddenly in front of dozens of paparazzi. Tin wanted to invite Can to talk and listen to his new song. But he was too cowardly, so he chose to send a vinyl record that only contained rudimentary initial records. Tin was usually not a man who acted without thinking beforehand. But sometimes there were too many things in his head that made him choke, then doing crazy things without thinking.

"Why?" Can asked again. It sounded more impatient than before.

"I guess because I wanted to talk, too. You know ... want to ask your opinion about my new style of lyrics inspired by you. Want to talk about your opinion on the song to be the soundtrack in the mini-series that you starred in. About many things I missed from the last few months. About me being too cowardly to talk to you the last time we met. About all the stuff about this play that ended so absurd, about ... "

Can cut him off, "You know, you're rambling right now, right?" Then there was a chuckle. Magical music that had trapped Tin in Can's charms several times before. "I thought we were over."

Tin couldn't help but smile at those words. Can's other language was to say 'I miss you, but I don't know if you did miss me too'.

"I saw some of your photos lately. You look, uhmmm ... fine, I guess ..."

"Nah ... not really, but I'm trying."

"Are you going to come to the Oscar next week?"

"I want to see you win."

"You're not angry or something, because, you know everyone says you're better than me?"

"I'm not the judge, Tin." Tin shuddered to hear Can mention his name again. "Neither do those who think like that. Those on the jury feel you deserve, and that's what matters." Tin felt half his guilt lifted. "Unless you bribe them, that's a different story," Can added hastily. And the two of them shared a laugh in the silence of the night.

When it died down, Tin carefully asked. "Do you like the song?"

"You made me break my promise again."