Chapter Twenty - Old Stories and New Beginnings

Luke took a deep breath. "Before I tell you guys what happened to us, please don't interrupt and hold your questions until the end. Fair enough?"

"Just tell them the story, Lukey!" Leia giggled.

He just shook his head at his sister, both amused and annoyed.

"My sister and I have always been orphans. I don't remember our mother or our father so it's basically been Leia and I. We grew up in the Varykino/Theed border forests, fending for ourselves. Leia would stay home at our camp, which was an old tree that was somehow hollowed out, while I went hunting for things we needed. Food, water, clothes; you name it, I went searching for it."

"So by the time Leia and I were around four I guess, Mother Meena found our tree. I wasn't around at that time because I was out, hunting for some food." Luke was about to go on but Leia jumped in on the story.

"Mother Meena was nice and she promised we would have a bed and cooked food and cleaned clothes and bubble baths and she said I'd get my own special dolly and everything!" Padme and Anakin laughed at the child's innocence, Padme causally playing with the girl's long locks.

"Anyways," Luke shook his head at her. "I got back a little after Mother Meena showed up. I obviously got defensive and protective of my sister, like I did when you guys first walked out here. After she and I had a talk, we went back with her and ended up here. We've been here for about three years now, waiting for someone to adopt us." He looked down at the ground, his voice growing notably quieter. "I didn't honestly expect for both of us to get adopted, not together at least..."

Anakin reached out and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "My wife and I would never take Leia away from you. Heck, I don't think anyone would ever be able to take Leia away from you, you're too protective and I can tell she's too dependent on you."

Padme cleared her throat, giving Anakin a shy smirk. "Well, in order for us to be able to take you two home, we need to know that you two will be able to trust us. Plus, we also need to get to know you guys a little better so when we take you home, we can get you some of the things you like. We want you two to be comfortable and have a happy life with a us."

Leia gasped, nearly hitting her chin with the crown of her head. "You mean you're adopting us?!" The couple just looked at each, a silent conversation between the pair.

"As long as both of you are okay with that..." Anakin turned his head to look at Luke. The young boy looked back at him, his blue eyes sparkling with hope.

"Would you give us the honor of being your parents?"

Luke copied his sister's action from earlier, shocking even his twin, as he carefully got up and wrapped his arms around Anakin's neck. For the first time ever, tears filled the young boy's eyes as he buried his face in his soon-to-be father's shoulder.

Anakin simply rubbed circles into his back, holding his tight to his chest. "It's gonna be alright, son. You will never be alone again..."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

About an hour and a half later, Luke and Leia officially became Skywalkers. The family of four left the orphanage and picked up a few things for the twins before heading back to the lake house. The new parents were awestruck when they saw Leia's reaction on the boat.

"Oh my Nerf! It's beautiful!" She gasped, running to the very front of the boat. She held onto the front piece of wood, swinging around it once or twice. Luke flipped out a bit, going over and grabbing her by the waist.

"Oh no ya don't..." He huffed, carrying her back to her seat. "We just got adopted; you are not allowed to nearly get killed ever again."

"Lukey," She whined, struggling in his hold. "I wasn't gonna die, I just wanted a closer look!"

"You could've fallen in and hit your head on the boat or worse, you could've just drowned!"

"I was not gonna drown!"

Anakin and Padme were laughing at this point, the twins bantering sounding like a father and daughter rather than twins. "You think we're in over our heads?" She whispered in his ear.

"Totally." He kissed her temple before straightening up next to her. "Who's ready to check out their new home?"