Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Trip Before the Fall

As Anakin opened the door, he was met by Prett and Tarkin. "What is it? I'm dealing with-"

"Your wife's condition?" Prett filled in the blank. Tarkin sighed in frustration, running a hand through his spiked grey hair. "We know about it, the whole blastin' galaxy knows about it! We have a mole in the system and someone's been leaking information about all three of your family members!"

"Oh hell no, let's go find us our mole then, shall we?" Upon seeing the yellow fury leak into his eyes, Prett placed a hand on his shoulder. "Vader, we have to deal with the press. They've made it into the foyer but Cody and Rex have them corralled there."

"Just a second." Anakin shut the door and walked back over to his wife and children. "I don't care what the blasted reason is, you are not to leave this room until I come and get you. Am I understood?"

"Yes Daddy." The twins spoked in unison, their heads bowed slightly. He leaned down and kissed them both on their foreheads. As his attention turned to Padme, Anakin's gaze softened tremendously.

"I'll be back Soon. I love you, Angel."

"I love you too..." She trailed off as her lips were met with his. When she opened her eyes again, all she saw was the door closing behind him.

"Let's say our prayers and get tucked in, okay my loves?"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

On the other side of Capital City, Charlotte stood on top of one of the massive skyscrapers. Hardly recognizable, she was cloaked by a gaudy fur coat that reached her ankles and a scarf hid her bleached hair.

"You seem to have a habit of being late, don't you Fett?"

The bounty hunter just shook off her insult, walking up behind her. "You want the job done right or by your unreasonable deadline?"

"You call 24 hours unreasonable?"

Jango slid off his helmet and ran a hand through his slick, ebony hair. Even in the dark, Charlotte could make out his handsome features to some to degree. What she couldn't stop looking at were his eyes, the chocolate brown gems that twinkled in the artificial city lights.

"Listen Char, I did my what you asked so where's my money?"

A coy smile tugged at her scarlet lips as she walked around him. One of her hands lazily slid across his chest, causing him to struggle why he tried to focus on her voice. "Jango, sweetie, listen here... A little birdy told me that the Empress is now refusing to take her medicine. Do you know what that means?"

"I know what it means. It means I couldn't switch out the saline bags for the poisoned ones and that's not my fault. I blew up their machines like you asked though. There's no way they'll be able to find a cure now."

He walked forward and sat on the raised ledge, setting his helmet down beside his elbow. Charlotte walked away a little and rummaged through her hand bag.

"I understand. You did what you could and now, you'll get your reward."

A blaster shot rang through the air not five seconds later.

Charlotte held the pistol in her hand as she walked to the skyscraper's edge. Noticing the helmet still sitting there, she knocked it over the side and soon, it plummet down just like his body did seconds earlier.

"What a shame... He was cute too!" She began to speak out loud while putting away her blaster. "Now to wait until after the funeral, then I'll have my crown and she'll be joining him in Corellian Hell." An evil cackle escaped her as she neared the rooftop door to go back down into the building.

"...Ah...I'm such a bitch..."