"Við vorum Víkingar"

Hiccup entered the Greathall after changing Jack's bandages and leaving him to rest. He was taking shifts with the village doctor in watching and caring for their new patient.

The doctor had said Jack had lost a lot of blood, that he'd be very weak for a while. His chest had been easy to operate on, but it was his leg they'd need to keep an eye on. The strange mage had been given his medicine for the pain, which would put him to sleep, so Jack was fine for now.

When Hiccup entered, he saw his mother, Valka, beside the fireplace. She was stroking Anna's bronze-colored hair, the girl's head nestled on her lap as she went into a chilly slumber. The sight caught him off guard.

The mother and son spoke to each other in Icelandic.

"How is she?"

Valka sighed, "She was really shaken. It took me half-an-hour to calm her down."

"No frostbite?"

"Not from what I saw." Valka carefully slid Anna's head off of her lap and onto the pillow on the floor. She went to check on Anna's torn clothes, which had been drying. "How's your patient?"

"Better," he commented, "but he's got a long way to go... Do you think he's really Jack Frost?"

"Do you have any better explanations for that spectacle earlier?" She said with a sardonic laugh. "Are you worried he might cause another avalanche?"

"No. I just can't believe he was in the avalanche. You'd think he could stop it."

"A wager against mother nature is one every man will lose. Besides, we've got bigger problems to worry about."

Hiccup anxiously folded his arms, "I know. We've still got to get everyone together and make a plan."

"Well, I have some time now," said the Chieftess, "you watch her, and I'll talk to Gobber."

"Uh... You sure?"

"What? You think she'll try to hurt you?" She teased. Hiccup looked back at her. She looked innocent enough... "Just make sure she doesn't go into shock. Don't wake her if you can help it."

"Mhm."

Valka left and Hiccup took a seat in one of the chairs. As he observed her, he wondered just what an average-looking woman would be doing with a powerful sorcerer all the way up here. It couldn't have just been the two of them, he surmised. Something was amiss, but Hiccup tried not to worry too much about it.

It's not like there were other ice-mages around that he'd have to look out for.

...

Elsa was truly alone now.

Treading through the sticky snow, she forced her bruised and sore body to move with purpose and haste. Her husband was somewhere and they had to find a way home. Every few steps felt like running a marathon, going breathless at least once a minute and sometimes having to stop altogether to give her muscles a rest.

Sometimes she would start to think about her father, but Elsa would chase the emotions away so she wouldn't lose any precious time finding Jack. He was alive, and that was what she needed to focus on.

"Jack?" She called into the empty forest. "Jack!" Her voice echoed and echoed. "Where are you?" She whispered and checked her ring. Still in place. Her body wouldn't relent and a moment of weakness came crashing down on her. "I can't do this without you..." She started to weep. "I want to know you're okay," she whispered as more tears slipped out of her eyes. Her father's still face came to mind again and Elsa broke apart.