Forslag

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you." Mattias said to Sophie.

"Why not?" She demanded.

"Because I don't know what happened to Jackson. All I know is he and Elsa are both alive somewhere."

"You've told me that," she argued, her blood ablaze, "I want to know about the creature, about the avalanche. What the Westergaards were trying to do!" Sophie had known from the start they were no good; she had been praying her assumptions were wrong, but even Jack had shared his dismay about them. Both were better judges of character than one might think, but unlike her brother, Sophie didn't believe in giving the benefit of the doubt.

Mattias grunted, frustrated with the girl's temper. "You're already upset. All those details would do is make you worse." He spoke to her like an annoyed, but worried father. He softened his voice, "Hans is locked in the dungeon, the Queen is in mourning... All I can do now is wait for her instructions once she's ready to interrogate Hans."

"Why didn't you just kill him on the way back? Or kill him then leave him up north with his father?" The poison in her tone was alarming; Mattias had never heard her speak with such malice.

"That's not my choice to make. If the Queen orders his execution, so be it. Until then, he is a prisoner."

"What if he knows something about Jack—"

"We already tried to question him, but of all the things he was adamant about, it was that he'd not seen your brother or the Princess."

The door to the King and Queen's chamber opened and Iduna appeared. She looked freshly groomed as if she hadn't been crying for over an hour. In her icy blue eyes was the ferocity of a mother lion. "General, take me to the prisoner. He's due for questioning."

Mattias nodded, "Your Majesty."

Iduna saw Sophie's baneful expression, "Are you all right, love?"

Sophie stiffened. "Yes, Your Highness."

"Check on the children for me, would you?" She asked, eyes softening only for a moment when she mentioned her grandchildren. As much pain she was in, she couldn't imagine the terror Agnes was feeling, nor the confusion baby Nicholas felt in not seeing his mother or father in days—this was the longest both had been without them.

With that request, Sophie nodded. She waited for them both to pass her before she went to Agnes' room, where she would usually play on a cloudy day such as this one. Emily was with Nicholas, who was napping—if caring for her grandson was how she dealt with her panic, then she'd let her be. When she got to Agnes' bedroom door, Sophie could hear her speaking. She was strangely calm, even a little chipper.

Sophie was going to open the door right away, but she instead pressed her ear to the door and listened.

"Mama says that too many sweets will give me cavities, and Daddy tells me to brush every morning and every night. That's why I have such pretty teeth!" Where on earth had her imagination taken her this time? "Do you really have a zillion little fairies everywhere?" There was a pause... Whatever this pretend play was, she was doing a great job. "Wow!"

Sophie popped the door open and saw Agnes sitting in the middle of her room; she had a tea party set up around her and she was smiling brightly.

"Hi, Aunt Sophie!" She chirped.

Taken aback by her sunny demeanor, Sophie asked, "Who were you talking to?"

"Miss Tooth Fairy!" Agnes said. "Don't you see her?" She looked up slightly—she was so focused on her imaginary friend that it made Sophie wonder if someone was actually there. "Oh, yeah." Agnes said, "Grown-ups can't see her. That's why she's invisible."