21

Abel

Tonight is my date with Jordyn. It's all I've been looking forward to after what happened Monday with Ari. I resorted back to only speaking to her in regards to school. At school and at home.

I can tell it bothers her. I caught her lingering around my class a few times, but I never stopped to ask her what she needed. I can't. I'm still in shock over it. I wish it never happened, and even more, I wish I could stop thinking about it so much.

I'd pulled up to Jordyn's house only a minute ago and just received her, I'm coming text.

After school I went straight home. Normally I hang around for forty five minutes, organizing or preparing for the next day. But I wanted to go home to shower and change.

Ari wasn't home, so I was thankful I wouldn't be hounded with questions about where I was going and with who. Not that it's really her place to ask. I don't know where Jordyn planned on going for dinner. I'm not worried about the fries, I'm just grateful I don't have to spend another day dodging alone time with Ari.

I stand, leaned against the passengers door as my eyes roam over her home. A beige house with a big shady tree out front in the small yard space. Within a few minutes she came out, wearing a tan, form fitting, dress. Her violet hair was split down the middle and loosely curled on the ends.

She approaches me with her pretty smile before we walk into a hug.

"It's good to see you," she says over my shoulder.

We separate and I open the door for her. "You ready for those genius fries, or what?"

"I was born ready."

I shut the door after her before running around to the other side and starting the car.

Just as I open my mouth to ask her where this place is, I notice her on her phone opening up the GPS app.

Starting route to Rocket Rudy's

Son of a bitch. I know Maya's working today and she's going to report back to Ari that I was out on a date with Mrs. Sinclair.

That's the last fucking thing I need right now.

To break my teenage roommates heart.

My jaw tenses, but I put the car in reverse.

Soon after pulling into the street, Jordyn began rambling on about something I couldn't even process over the sound of my heart pounding.

Beat after beat. Turn after turn.

And it's a busy Friday night. I see a few girls gliding around the parking lot with trays as I begin to park in an empty stall. The only thing keeping my nerves at bay is the fact that the one I kissed won't be rolling around with the rest of them.

"How about we eat at one of the tables. I'd hate to accidentally spill in your nice car."

---

Ari

"Ari, what happened to your arm?" John, one of the Friday regulars asks me. I hadn't worked all week and I felt guilty. Not only for being at home around Mr. Caswell everyday after school, but also because my team needed me.

So I begged Stacey to let me work and after a back and forth argument over the phone, she finally caved and told me I could work behind the desk while Maya and Sassy handled the orders.

I'll miss wearing my skates for a while, but I can't really risk hurting my arm again. I just want to get out of the house.

"Last Friday I fell pretty bad on my skates."