2

Ari

I hate school. Completely. Entirely.

Being the odd one out has never benefit me. I was fine until last year when someone found out I was a foster kid. I feel like they'd spent years trying to find something wrong with me and when that came to surface, they thought they hit the jackpot.

And they did.

That gets to me. It always has.

Before everyone found out, I could push it to the back of my mind, hang out with my friends, get through my day, not to be reminded of reality until I made it home. But now I never forget it. I never get the chance to pretend everything's fine except for the few short hours I'm at work.

Music helps, and so does rolling around in a parking lot with a tray of Monster fries that warm the palm of my hand as I whisk them to the next car.

"Anything else I can get for you two?" I ask, standing on the stopper of my left skate.

"No, thank you sweetheart." The man winks at me as his wife next to him snags a fry. "That should do."

I purposely work toward the outskirts of town. Most kids from school hang out downtown where there's more to do. Working away from that area, I can avoid anyone seeing me from school and whistling at me like I'm the neighborhood pet.

It's gotten old. I'm just glad this year is going to be different. This year I'm graduating and turning eighteen, so I can finally leave. I can break out of the reigns of my foster family and this city. I just have to stick it out for nine more months.

As I skate back to the bar, Maya's dancing to Vampire Weekend's A-Punk as it begins blaring through the loud speakers. I chuckle, tucking my empty tray under my arm.

She grabs my hand and I almost slip, but catch myself as she begins spinning us in circles, singing along without hitting any of the right notes. More like shouting along. After the second time around, timing it just right, I set the tray down on the table and she flings me around once more.

"You guys are so silly," says Stacey, my boss. She's inherited this business from her father after it being in the family for about twenty five years.

It's still successful nearing its twenty sixth. It's gone through a lot of changes in order to stay that way, but Stacey's such an innovator. This place is now known for gourmet fries with sometimes weird, but surprisingly good toppings, and cherry sodas with real cherries.

Lately, we've been starting to become busy on Friday nights, and it's those nights that I pray I don't hear a cat call from someone from school. If anyone even whistles, it makes me jump.

Maya lets me go and I wobble to the counter, setting my hands flat on the top as I ride out the dizzy spell she's put me in after spinning me twenty times. Thankfully the mister that's spraying a cool fog down on me prevents me from passing out.

"You love it, Stace." Maya hops up on the stool.

"Eh." Stacey's hand flip flops and she wrinkles her nose and laughs. "You guys ready for school tomorrow?"

I draw out a sigh. "Don't even remind me."

"I definitely am," Maya chirps, spinning in the wobbly stool. "Kevin finally asked me to be his girlfriend, so I'm starting my year off right."

Kevin and Maya have been the schools highest anticipated couple since kindergarten. They grew up together, went on joined family vacations, attended mutual weddings, Christmas parties, all that. It's not much of a surprise that he finally asked her. I'm sure he knew in his heart they were going to end up high school sweethearts and wanted to get all the dating out of his system before he finally caved in to what the universe had planned for them.

"Nice, nice." Stacey nods. "The kid finally grew some balls, eh?"

Maya snorts out a laugh and shoves her from across the bar. "Stop it! He was just a little intimidated. Can you blame him?"

Me and Stacey exchange glances, our brows twisting at each other, but neither of us say a word.

"Whatever." Maya smiles, sliding off the stool and rolling herself through the little bar door and toward the break room.

Stacey raises her voice as she sprays another layer of her cleanser concoction onto the counter top. "I want an invite to the wedding!"

"Duh. You're gonna be one of my maids!"

"I hope she means bridesmaid." Stacey chuckles and shakes her head before I turn to watch the last car drive out of the lot. Its brake lights fully light up before making a slow turn out onto the street.

When I turn back to look at her, she's staring at me sadly, wiping down the bar top with a damp rag. "What's that look about, sunshine?"

I shrug, my elbows landing on the sleek bar top she's just polished.

"Want me to make you something to eat before you head home?"

I shake my head. I must have eaten two whole batches of fries during my shift. I tend to do that when I'm nervous.

"Well, do you need anything? School supplies?" She turns around and her eyes impulsively drift toward my yellow backpack, torn and tattered. I liked it that way, believe it or not. "I mean, I know you already said no when I asked you a week ago, but I don't mind heading to Walmart with you right now to pick up a few things if you changed your mind." She tilts her head at me, balling up the towel and crossing her arms with it in her fist. "I know you need something. I know that look."

Yes. A new place to live and a new life. "No, I'm okay." I force a smile. "Really, Stace. Thanks for the concern, though."

"Well, if at some point you decide you do, don't be shy. You have my number. I'm here for you."

I nod, glancing up at the red clock behind her. 8:47

Maya rolls out with her pink rucksack on one shoulder, smiling down at the phone in her hand. Probably a message from Kevin.

"Why don't you guys clock out now. Get home safe, get enough sleep for tomorrow."

"Okay, mom-junior," says Maya, not looking up from her screen.

Because of Stacey's renovations, Rocket Rudy's is now full of gimmicks. The whole gourmet trash fries with cool names to attract young people, the fifties feel set up, the roller skating waitresses—us—the cherry soda spiel, and the last cute little touch to the Rocket Rudy's experience: nicknames.

Our name tags wouldn't dare bear our government names simply because Stacey thinks it's cuter that way. And she's right.

Maya's nickname is Bubbles, for the obvious reasons—but also because on her first day, she loaded up the dishwasher with so much soap, it overflowed all over the kitchen.

Mine is Sunshine, for less obvious reasons. Maybe simply for irony, because I can't see anything bright or sunny in my life, nor does my personality compare to the shining sun.

Stacey's cousin takes on the name Sassy. I've only worked with her a few times because she normally covers day shift, but the name is suiting. There's another girl that works during the mornings because she's a college student who takes night classes. I don't know her much, but from what I've seen in passing, she's nice. I don't know why she's earned herself the name Snappy, but I also hope not to find out.

I rolled inside, stopping at the little bench next to the lockers to check my phone for notifications.

None.

I don't even know who I'm checking for anymore. Diana, my foster mom, couldn't care less about where I am, unless I'm coming back with money.

"Ari," says Stacey, peeking into the break area. I toss my phone back into my backpack and for a split second I wonder if it's small enough to fit through the hole that's began at the bottom. "Don't let those bitches mess with you this year, you hear me?"

I smile, weakly. "You know I won't."

She nods. "Alright, see you tomorrow night."