twelve

CASSIE WALKED TO THE STANDS silently on the day of the Gryffindor v/s Hufflepuff match. Her cheeks had a permanent pink tint, as it always did during this season, but today, it was a lot darker - a crimson red, rather. The reason being two simple words: Fred Weasley.

She was simply heading to the stadium when she bumped into Fred. They hadn't really spoken (occasioning glances, but never an exchange of words) since that little piano session they had. On seeing the petite figure of Cassie, Fred could help but break into a smile.

"Didn't fancy seeing you here, Black," Fred teased which he wore his quidditch gear.

"Got to support my house," she replied, "Maybe it will help me in a small way to be acknowledged by my own friends."

"They aren't really your friends if they don't stick by you, you know?" Fred advised, buckling his knee pads.

"You do know one of them is your brother, right?" Cassie chuckled softly. It surprised her, how easily her guard dropped down in front of Fred. The simplest of things would always make her break into a smile around him. No one ever made her feel like that – no one except Remus.

"Who? Ron? Yeah, you know that saying? When you wish for something so much, it just sort of happens?" Fred asked, Cassie, nodding in return, "Yeah, me and George are currently wishing we aren't related to Ronnikins,"

Cassie's lips parted in astonishment as she tried her hardest to control her smile.

"That is a very rude thing to say, Weasley,"

"Eh,"

"Fred!" she giggled, slapping him playfully in his arm.

"Fine, fine, I'll stop wishing it," Fred said, satisfying Cassie, "But that doesn't stop George from wishing it," he added, making Cassie chuckle, throwing her head back.

Fred watched her, mesmerised. He wondered why the girl rarely smiled or laughed. This was the first time Fred had heard her laugh mirthfully, and it was simply melody to his ears. He saw how when she smiled, one could see her slightly crooked canine and how when she laughed, both her hands would clutch the sides of her stomach. He simply found himself smiling as a strand of Cassie's wavy hair fell out her tied hair and onto her face, and how she let it stay there, occasionally tucking it behind her ear, only for it to escape and fall back on her face.

"What are you looking at?" she asked, still smiling as they headed to the Great Hall, where Oliver had summoned the team.

"You, when you laugh," Fred answered truthfully. They both stopped at their tracks. They were three statues away from the entrance of the great hall.

"You should laugh more often," Fred said, leaning against the wall while Cassie stood in front of him, fidgeting with the hem of her string, as she did was she was nervous (especially over something new).

"Maybe I will," Cassie humoured him, with a soft smile.

"I'll ensure you will," Fred grinned back, lifting himself off of the wall.

Now he and Cassie stood an inch away from each other. Cassie looked up at him (due to his towering height) and said,

"Good luck with the match. Not that you need it,"

"Why won't I be needing it?" Fred asked, the corner of his lips curving into a smirk.

"As much as I don't want to add fuel to your ego, I have to admit, you and your brother are darn good beaters," Cassie complimented, making Fred's chest puff up and his grin broaden.