nineteen

"IF YOU COULD CALM down and just let words flow out of your mouth, I would really appreciate it,"

Remus had continued his nervous pacing around his office muttering incoherent words while Cassie watched him, her impatience increasing by the minute, as she sat on his desk, swinging her legs in the hollow space.

"Sorry," he apologized, sitting down on the ottoman, now tapping his feet, still in thought.

"Honestly Remus, if you are just going to be thinking and not speaking, I will head back to the common room and continue my conversation with someone who believes me and trusts me," Cassie sighed, jumping off the desk and heading to the door.

"He asked me if I knew Sirius," Remus said suddenly.

"Obviously, you did you were made godfather to his own daughter,"

"Harry still doesn't know you're his daughter,"

"That's just stupid. Fred and Granger know I'm his daughter, Harry would be daft if he didn't figure it out yet," Cassie rolled her eyes.

"Well, maybe he is. He is Prongs' kid, and James wasn't the brightest,"

"With my father, he was," Cassie pointed out.

"Sirius and James together always made sense, that's when they would make decisions that wouldn't always be dumb," Remus reminisced with a weak smile.

"But James was head boy, they must have awarded him that for some reason, right?" Cassie asked, suddenly remembering the notes scribbled by James and Lily in the 1977 logbooks.

"He worked on himself to win Lily's heart. He would do anything for her, just like Sirius would do anything for Julia," Remus told, his eyes brimming with tears at the memory of his friends. "I thought I knew Sirius, but now, I don't really know,"

"You do know him, you just don't know the whole story," Cassie said softly, slowly inching towards her godfather and taking a seat beside him.

"He killed his best friend, Cassie. He killed Peter. What's more to that?"

"Were you the spy in the Order?" Cassie asked instead, making Remus do a double-take and stare at Cassie.

"Of course not! Why would you think that?" he exclaimed, horrified by her assumption.

"Why do you think my father was the spy?" Cassie continued.

"Because he is a Black! He is from a family of pureblood fanatics who served Voldemort! And he would do anything to protect his family. To protect you, to protect Julia!" Remus argued.

"Indeed, he would do anything to save and protect his family. And do you really think Sirius Black, the boy who ran away from that pureblood fanatic house at the age of sixteen to the Potters, who, may I add, graciously accepted him and became his chosen family? Do you really think Sirius would go ahead and betray them? Kill them? Let Voldemort walk right into the safe house his best friend, Julia's brother lived in? Do you think he would want to kill the man who cared for Sirius like his own brother and accepted him without looking at the fact that he was a Black? Tell me, Remus, you knew Sirius longer than I ever did. Do you really think your friend, your best friend, who turned into an Animagus to help you with your lycanthropy would do that?"

Watching Cassie speak like that reminded Remus of the night Julia had stopped at his doorstep, drenched in the storm. He vividly remembered how she had said the same words (except Cassie had said the speech calmly as compared to Julia who did it with complete dramatics) when Remus accused Sirius of being the spy in the Order during Christmas dinner.