twenty-eight

THE THREE CHILDREN MADE 
their way silently through the trees, keeping to the very edge of the forest. They had figured out that they would save Buckbeak, fly it to Professor Flitwick's office and help her father escape along with the hippogriff.

Harry, Hermione and Cassandra moved behind a wide oak tree beside Hagrid's hut, reliving exactly what happened three hours ago with the 'golden trio' while Cassie frolicked around with Fred far away from them.

"This is the weirdest thing we've ever done," Harry said fervently.

"So according to you, time travelling is weirder than having Voldemort staying on the back of a professor's head?" Cassie asked, giving Harry a questionable look.

"I'll stop talking now,"

"That's Hagrid breaking the milk jug," Hermione whispered, "I'm going to find Scabbers in a moment,"

Sure enough, moments later they heard Hermione's shriek of surprise.

"How about I just go ahead and grab that pesky little rat and strangle it to death right now?" Cassie muttered under her breath, her hands itching to avenge.

"Ron would be furious," Harry whispered. 

"I can live with that. I already survived this year with the entire school hating on me so-"

"No!" said Hermione in a terrified whisper, "Cassie, you should understand! We're breaking the law by doing this! No one is supposed to change time! If we're seen-"

"Well, you won't be seen; I will. Besides, you guys would just think I finally dropped by Hagrid's with a slightly odd sort of clothing choice, it won't make a difference!"

"Cassie – I know where you're coming from (Cassie raised a questionable eyebrow to that) okay, maybe I don't know where you're coming from. But I do know that you want Pettigrew dead. Unfortunately, we can't change the time. Sirius and Buckbeak escaping is supposed to happen – not Peter being killed by you. So please, just listen to me and don't do anything rashly."

Cassie let out a breathy sigh and sat down on the floor.

"I probably should go apologize to Hagrid for not being around tomorrow. I was just too caught up with everyone accusing me, I forgot the one person who stood by me almost always," Cassie thought out loud, Harry nodding in response.

"He asked for you sometimes, but then Hermione would shut him down," Harry said, mumbling the last part of the statement on noticing Granger's guilty look.

Cassie gave a tight-lipped smile before looking across towards the hut from where Ron, Hermione and Harry got out. She watched as the three walked away defeated under the impression of being unable to save the hippogriff and saw the executioners walk in from Hagrid's front door along with Dumbledore.

Cassie's nostrils flared at the sight of the old man. He was diplomatic, manipulative and absolutely heartless – if she could have a say. She looked back over the times Dumbledore and herself actually got along until she realised that they never had.

Albus and Cassie always maintained a teacher and student relationship – keeping every interaction between them limited to harnessing wand magic and Cassie's future as the wizarding community's greatest weapon. Albus didn't know much of Cassie's personal life and vice-versa. The two never found the need to talk or converse about it. But at this point of her life, Cassie felt like she was simply a puppet in Dumbledore's master plan; because it seemed like everything was made to go a certain way so that Cassie could live a particular life because that didn't happen due to natural causes.