forty-two

SALESMEN WERE APPARATING EVERY FEW feet, carrying trays and pushing carts full of extraordinary merchandise. There were luminous rosettes — green for Ireland, red for Bulgaria — which were squealing the names of the players, pointed green hats bedecked with dancing shamrocks, Bulgarian scarves adorned with lions that roared, flags from both countries that played their national anthems as they were waved; there were tiny models of Firebolts that flew, and collectable figures of famous players, which strolled across the palm of your hand, preening themselves. 

Since Cassie managed to save Fred and George from gambling all their money, the two were able to grab themselves some souvenirs. They bought themselves a large green rosette each, while Cassie bought herself a red one (she will always support her friends and besides, she felt the Bulgarian team would do well in today's match).

"Bloody hell, look at these!" gasped George as they neared a cart piled with what looked like brass binoculars, except that they were covered with all sorts of weird knobs and dials.

"Omnioculars," said the sales wizard eagerly. "You can replay action . . . slow everything down . . and they flash up a play-by-play breakdown if you need it. Bargain — ten Galleons each."

"Seven," Cassie grinned, "Won't take it for more, the wizard over there was selling then to me for eight," 

"Seven it is," the sales wizard sighed, accepting Cassie's galleons, handing her an omniocular. 

"Wanna share one?" Fred asked George as they rummaged through their remaining coins. 

"Nah, I'll need one all for myself," George said cheekily, grabbing seven galleons and buying one before Fred could stop him. 

"Now we got 3 galleons left you muppet!" Fred exclaimed in annoyance, slapping his brother on his head. 

"I'll buy you one, ya little baby," Cassie laughed, rolling her eyes. 

"No, no, you don't need to do that," Fred ushered immediately, trying to pull her hand away before she paid for another pair. 

"I didn't buy you a gift for Christmas last year," Cassie sighed, slapping the omniocular on his palm, "Consider this your gift,"

"But you couldn't go to Hogsmeade so you had a reason," Fred justified, running behind the girl who was now on her way to stroll through the next row of stalls. 

"And now we are here and I've got you a gift. I've redeemed myself in my eyes," Cassie smiled, patting him on his head. 

"Cassie," Fred whined like a little puppy, continuing to follow her. 

"It's seven galleons! I got it for three galleons less than he was selling it by fibbing. It's not a big deal Weasley," she sighed, stopping at her tracks to turn around and look at the ginger. 

"But-"

"Let me spoil you for once, pretty boy," Cassie chuckled with a small smirk. 

"You think I'm pretty?" Fred grinned, catching onto only the words 'pretty boy'.

"Maybe," Cassie teased. 

"You think I'm pretty," Fred began singing, "You want to hug me . . . You want to love me . . . You want to"

But before he could even complete what he wanted to say, Cassie's eyes grew wide at something behind the boy. The ginger spun around to see a boy around Cassie's age frantically waving at the girl. Cassie's eyes seemed to light up with recognition so Fred knew at once this must be one of the girl's 'ministry friends'. 

Cassie quickly turned to Fred and said, "Hold this for me please?" and before Fred could even agree to it, she dumped her merchandise bag on his shoulder and ran towards the five foot ten inches, messy brunette's open arms.