Chapter 26

IRENE

Everything between Lisa and I is running smoothly. Most of the time, she's out with Jennie while I'm busy working in the hospital. Whenever she has free time, she comes by to the hospital and have a meal with me. When she finds me busy, she just drops foods for me so I won't skip a meal. My schedule has been more hectic since I am now the director.

Today is the arrival of the interns from Seoul. Dad said he wants them to be trained here so that we can learn more how to train a trainee. You get it?

I will assist and orient them regarding their work and this workplace. There are doctors I can assign to do this but I want to do it on my own. I want to learn from these younger people.

After a few hours, a nurse informed me that the interns are already in the lobby so I quickly fix and compose myself before going down there.

There are four boys and six girls.

"Good morning." They politely greeted me back. "I'm Dra. Irene Kim of Emergency Medicine, the director of this hospital. It's nice to meet new people here." I said.

They also introduce themselves to me since I asked them too.

A guy who seems to be very nervous at the moment caught my attention. He's wearing eyeglasses.

"I'm- I'm Park Bo Gum from Mok-dong, Seoul." I offered my hand to him. Maybe that can ease his nervousness.

"Nice to meet you Dr. Park." He shook my hand. My right brow automatically raises when he didn't let go of it for a couple of minutes, until he notices it.

"Oh sorry. I didn't mean to--"

"That's okay." Maybe a little not though. But he apologized already.

"Let's start here. Of course this is the lobby, very obvious."

I first tour them around the hospital so they'll get familiar with the entire place. Everyone is cooperative and the orientation goes with humor too. These kids are funny.

While this Bo Gum guy keeps on glancing at me.

"Guys, this is Dra. Tiffany Young, head of cardio department, Dr. Kim Jongdae of neuro, Dra. Kim Saeron of pedia, and Dra. Krystal Jung of OB. They will be taking you in their own departments. This will be helpful for you guys to decide what specialization you're going to have. That's gonna be for today. I'll meet you again tomorrow." I said. All of us gave our sign of respect to each other before dispersing.

I need to have my lunch now. I went to the canteen to eat there. It's going to be my first bite when I received a call from Yeri, she's a trauma surgeon. One of my very few friends.

There is an emergency, again.

"What do we got?"

"Puncture wound to the chest, knife wound." Yeri explained.

"Pneumothorax. He's having pneumothorax! Prepare for chest tube thoracostomy." The patient struggles with his breathing. This must be caused by his punctured chest.

Pneumothorax is a condition that occurs when air enters the pleural space, the space between the chest wall and the lung.

We need to perform chest tube placement wherein we will insert a tube into the pleural cavity to remove the air, blood, purulent drainage, or other bodily fluid foreign to this space and to restore the mechanical function of the lung.

We also need to treat the stab wound. I wonder what happened to this patient. He probably got into a fight and hurt himself.

"Scalpel, number 10 blade." I said and we started performing the surgery.