Chapter 48

LISA

Paris with Jennie was the most peaceful vacation I've had. It was calm, serene, full of love. We were free from the world's grasp. No darkness, no sorrow, no pain. Just two happy and free souls dancing just the same in the city of lights.

She was right that it wasn't just the city of love but also the city of lights. Because every waking moment that I spent in Paris, each has enlightened me.

I had this realization that I want to wake up every morning next to her.

So here I am, in front of Irene's grave, telling everything I wanted to say. No one knows me like she does. No one gets me like she does.

She might be gone in the physical realm but she will always be in my heart. There will always be a special empty space for her. Indeed, losing her is an absence I could never fill. There's no getting over that.

"How is it up there, love?" There was never a day that has passed by that I never thought of what she's doing. "Have you met those people whom you tried to save lives?"

I sat on the grass as I wipe away the dried leaves that had fallen on top of her gravestone. The flowers I brought her before we went to Paris was now dried too.

"I knew they'd dried up by now so I brought you a new bouquet of tulips, your favorite."

I miss having a conversation with her.

"I have something to tell you, love. But please don't get mad at me." She loves Jennie more than anything else in this world.

"If you can see us down here, you see, Jennie and I, we're trying to make things work for us. It might seem awkward or wrong in other people's eyes because her sister was my girlfriend but I couldn't care less about what they think. I only care about yours and hers. If you're good with it, if you think we can make it, can you please tell me?"

Strange as it is, the wind blew hard. I felt it kiss my face. She must've heard me. I know she will always listen and understand.

"I'll take that as a 'yes', love."

I want to assure her that I will take care of Jennie and there's nothing to worry about me too since she takes very good care of me.

"You know you will always have a space in my heart, right? There will always be one for you. Perhaps, this lifetime wasn't for us. It took you away from me too soon. But I'll make sure to find you in another, maybe we have ours." I haven't noticed tears are already falling down on my cheeks until the wind blew, harshly kissing me again.

"But in this one, I think it's for us. I'll make sure it's us. I see and love her in a way I never have imagined. I don't want to let her go. Will you help me with that, love?"

Everything was in the shade of gray but Jennie, she came to me, and suddenly, there were colors again.

The wind blew up and in that moment I know that I no longer want to hold back.

"Thank you. I'll see you in another lifetime, love."

I spent a few more minutes there before going to Jennie's. I told her I'm coming over but she didn't reply. She must be in their mansion, she said she'll just spend her free day there so she could rest.

Their house helpers are mostly the only ones who stay at the mansion during days. Mr. and Mrs. Kim are busy with their own jobs. It's the same with Jennie though.