Chapter 40

LISA

My heart has been broken for so many times. But it never ached this much. I thought it was too broke to be broken. Not until her hand lost its grip in mine.

It was too fast. I was just holding her, kissing her earlier. And now, she's in front of me, covered with white cloth. A piece of clothing I have no courage to touch. I can't see her lying there, lifeless.

I don't feel anything but pain.

Why would you do that, love? Why would you save me and leave just like that?

"Where is Irene?" Your family's here, love.

Their cries broke my heart even more. I can't stay here any longer, love. I went out of the morgue. Still shocked by what just happened. I stood in the corner as the image of her last moments with me flashes in my mind.

"Why did you let it happen?! Why didn't you protect her, Lisa?! She's gone now! Irene's gone..." Mr. Kim screamed, grabbing my collar. It's okay if he hurts me. I want them to hurt me, until I feel numb. So I won't feel the pain of losing her.

"I'm sorry..." I don't have the right words, I don't know what to say. Because he's right. I failed to protect her.

"Who did this to her?!" I closed my fists by the question I just heard.

"Hanbin"

"J-Jennie's boyfriend?" I nodded.

"He's dead. Lau as well." Did Irene has to die for this to end? She did not do anything wrong. Why would You take her?

Her mom settled everything before we drove back home. This will be a sleepless night for all of us. Everyone in the mansion knows.

"This is all my fault." Mr. Kim said. All of us waited for him to continue talking because none of us has the words to express what we're feeling right now. The guilt, the sadness, heartache. No words were right.

"Forgive me." He cried, a lot harder this time, making each of us break down in deep sorrow. "If only I had given up that stupid formula, she might still be alive."

That fucking formula. But regardless, Lau will still do what he wants even if he gets the formula.

"What formula, John?" Mrs. Kim asked. It's time for them to know the root of evil.

"Lau and I used to be partners when I was still a c-chemist. He helped me in my med school in exchange of me, making him drugs. I-I made a formula for a new drug. Better than any ecstasies. I sold it to pay Lau. But he found out I've sold the first batch of the products for almost a million dollars. Lau wants to use it for evil but I'd already quit before they knew about it. That was our deal. I give them a million dollars, I'm free from their illegal business. And he-he wants the formula so he can earn more. But I refused." He explained.

"That fucking formula isn't worth of Irene's life!" Jennie shouted. Nayeon was on her side, trying to keep her calm while Rosé remain seated, crying too. Mr. Kim took a deep breath.

"Irene isn't Irene. She's Mina Myoui." Mr. Kim looked at me.

I suddenly felt dizzy. Getting too confused and puzzled by what he said. His words kept ringing in my head.

"Are you telling me that Mina is Irene, and Irene is Mina?" I scoffed in disbelief. Mr. Kim nodded. Mrs. Kim has this sympathetic look in her eyes for me. What bullshit is this?