Chapter 23

Dis...claim...er.

Elyza

I knew it was wrong and all very sudden... But, I had no choice. If I hadn't agreed to live with him, I would have been separated from the only relative dearest to me, sent to foster care, and probably, to another school. I did not speak for a while. This was all so soon, so sudden. And for what? Mr. Erik Destler didn't owe us anything. At all. Suddenly, Mr. Destler whispered to Liz-Marie, "I think now would be a good time to give her that picture I helped you with in class the other day." My sister nodded in agreement and pulled out a folded piece of paper from her pocket, she handed it to me, her hands were shaky and she seemed nervous, embarrassed. "I-it's not nearly as good as the things you can make. But... I tried and Mr Destler helped me." I smiled warmly, gently and took the paper from her with my good hand. "Thank you, Liz-Marie and Mr. Destler. The fact that you made me anything, is wonderful enough." They both smiled back at me. Mr. Destler spoke up, " I only aided her with drawing the people. But, the artwork was hers and hers alone." I struggled to unfold the paper, but eventually, I managed. The painting was absolutely beautiful. There were numerous amounts of blues and colours and the people were beautiful, even though Mr. Destler had been the one to draw them. The people were of her and I standing in a field of roses of all colours and the sky was the deepest blue, almost as blue as one of Erik's eyes. I was absolutely astounded. "Th-thank you... it is gorgeous. Absolutely fantastic..." My younger sibling smiled at me, her eyes were starry as if she had never heard those words in her life before. "Really? Do you really think so? I worked so hard on it." I nodded, not really feeling up to speaking. The people looked exactly like us even though that was Mr. Destler's work, but the painting in its entirety, was gorgeous. I yawned, I started to feel very sleepy, I knew I was probably on medication. Both of them noticed my lackadaisical behaviour. "We will be here when you wake up", the man said to me. "We will give you time to rest." "But sir, don't you have to be back at school?" He smiled and shook his head, " I'm not concerned about that right now. I'm sure they will understand. It was an emergency. And Elyza, you do not have to address me as 'Mr. Destler' or 'sir'. Not here or now. Just call me Erik."