Chapter 21

You know I don't own it! Why do you torture me?! *sobs*

Elyza

Hours, maybe days later, I finally decided I was strong enough to open my eyes. Liz-Marie was sitting in the chair at the foot of my bed, asleep. Her head was down. She would have a terrible ache in her neck when she awoke. I called to her, finding that my throat was dry and sore as ever and my voice was hardly there. Most-likely from all the screaming... "Liz-Marie..." She slowly looked up at me and placed her hand on the back of her neck, but she grinned at me. "Elyza! You're awake!" My little sister came to hug me, cautious of my arm, which I was sure was broken. I expected to see my mother there... I expected her to be there, but she wasn't. "Where's mum? I thought she would be here with you..." After our embrace, she straightened up and cast her eyes down... That was a bad sign. "Where is mother", I asked again, pleading with my eyes for her to look at me. Liz-Marie looked at me, her eyes, distant and watery. "She-- she left us, Elyza... She said she didn't want to live with two children who wasted their lives away, trying to be something they could never be. I didn't know what she meant, b-but, I was hoping you did." She took my hand gently and looked down, beginning to cry. Everything in my being suddenly felt numb. The pain was there, of course, but it felt as if my body were trying to reject it. She left? She left? Just like our father. Our father left when Liz-Marie was born and I could hardly remeber him, but my mother.... She was a verbally and physically abusive crackhead. I knew she was going to leave sooner or later. I always gave her grief. Oh, my God! It was my fault! Why did everything have to be my fault? I knew this would hurt my younger sibling, but she needed to know... "Elizabeth-Marie... it is my fault she left. I was always trouble... And what she meant was... She didn't want kids who couldn't be like her. Melody wanted to drag us into her misery. She didn't want kids who tried to please her, but couldn't. I'm sorry." I wasn't angry or mad. I was numb, like I had earlier said. Liz-Marie sat on the bed beside me, the tears were still cascading down her cheeks. "Hey.." She looked up at me. "Don't you shed another tear. That would give her the satisfaction... I'm here for you. No-one will separate us, I promise, we'll always be together." She forced a smile and embraced me again. "I love you, Elyza." I felt her wet cheek on my face and smiled back. "I love you too. We will be fine." Suddenly, I heard a very familiar voice talking to my nurse outside the door. "May I see her? I am a very dear friend to her." Mr. Destler...? What was he doing here?" We both looked at the door as a very tall, mysterious, sexy, dark, masked man entered the room, followed by my nurse. "Hello, again, Elyza..."