21- Touch Of Death

The fear was making me anxious. Anubhav and Mom's faces flashed before my eyes. What will they do if something happens to me? Mom won't be able to bear the pain. She might not survive the news of my death. The way everyone was firing at each other, made it certain that no one was getting out alive. This was my last day on earth. This is how I was destined to die.

If Sabil and I were to die today, then I would want it to be into each other's arms. I couldn't ask for a better way to go, a better farewell from life.

My hands were on my ears and my head between my knees when a sharp bang on the door on my side startled me. I gasped and my head snapped up. There was no dent on the inside of the car door.

My cheeks and my neck were soaked with my thick tears.

The firing didn't stop. With extreme trepidation, I cried harder. I was positive that someone was going to get hurt. Someone from this side. And right at that moment, Sabil fell on the seat.

"Sabil...." I screamed in horror.

He groaned and placed one hand on his ear. He then looked at me. His green eyes had no fear. All they had was extreme rage. "Don't worry Cariño. I'm fine. They missed me again." He assured me.

I closed my eyes and exhaled in relief. My heart was thudding erratically. For a moment I thought I had lost him.

I then looked at him with a blurry vision. "Can't you just stay put?" I asked in a small voice.

"No." He said and sprang back in his seat. His gun seemed to run out of bullets. He threw the gun on my seat and tapped on Guzman's shoulder.

I saw Guzman open the glove compartment and hand him another gun. It was a black gun with a grey grip.

Sabil positioned the gun out the window. His right elbow was pulled back and his finger on the trigger. He brought the back of the gun close to his face and then pulled the trigger. I heard the noisy bullet explode onto something.

There was a noise of the tires abruptly screech on the road and then a loud bang. I placed my palms on my ears again. The sound was unbearable. I heard a couple of men scream and it sounded like the car had run into another car and crashed.

"Woohoooo..." Emilio and Guzman exulted. But Sabil did not react. He turned to look at the rear windshield.

"I can't see the other two cars. Looks like they have drawn back." He then sat facing the front.

"Guzman, check with Julio."

Guzman called from his cell and kept it on speaker. Julio picked after a few rings.

"Guzman." Julio whimpered softly.

"Julio?" Guzman screamed in panic.

"I have a bullet in my arm," Julio said.

The warm tears in my eyes increased and rolled down my cheeks uncontrollably. I placed my hand on my mouth to keep myself from moaning.

"Fuckkk.." Sabil exclaimed. "Julio, can you drive?" He fretted.

"Si Señor."

"Can you see their cars?"

"No Señor. They had stopped following the moment we entered the woods. Only the BMW was following and now they are rolled over across a tree." Julio said with a soft chuckle.