24- Under His Care

"How are you feeling? Did the medicine work?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't pamper me too much. I'm not the one with a bullet in my arm."

He frowned. "Don't ever say that again."

I lied in bed. I was feeling better now. Sabil laid beside me and cuddled. After a few minutes, there was a knock on the door.

I had my tea and after about an hour we had our dinner. I had Chicken Ravioli for the first time. It was so delicious that I went to the kitchen and complimented Mario personally. Him and Isla were worried about me. I assured them that I was doing fine now. After going back upstairs, Sabil filled the bathtub with warm water and we got in, snuggling up and relaxing.

"Sabil?" I said while my cheek was resting on his chest.

"Yes, Cariño."

"Do you think that guy who met me yesterday, had something to do with this?"

Sabil was tracing his fingers on my bareback. "We don't know yet. But I'm positive that he was one of them."

"Will you never tell me who these people are and what illicit thing you've gotten into?" I asked.

"It's better that you don't know. You are leaving and it doesn't matter what I'm into."

The leaving part made me shudder. I realized the time was coming closer for me to leave. I was never going to see Sabil again.

I fought back my tears. "I hate you." My voice cracked.

"I know." He said and held me tight across his chest. "Will you miss me?" He asked.

"I don't want....to talk...about it.." My tears ditched me anyway.

Sabil tightened his arm around my back. "Oh, Saanj." He said in a small voice.

I sobbed while my head was dug in his chest.

"I've put you through hell in these four days. Today your life was in danger because of me and yet you are crying because you're leaving." He said.

"You have no idea how much it hurts," I said grimly and more tears came.

He kissed my hair. "Trust me I know. Only if my life was perfect, I would have kept you with me. Forever."

I continued sobbing. The thought of not waking up in his warm bed with him next to me, pinched my heart. Not going to get to see his timeless eyes, his godly face, and not getting to hear his smoky voice is going to make my life a living hell. He slowly lifted my face with both his hands. I looked into his lugubrious eyes. He brushed off my tears with his thumb and kissed my lips.

After getting out of the bathtub I wore a lose off white t-shirt and red silk panties. He was lying in the bed in a black boxer. I crept near to him and threw my leg across his legs, and rested my head on his arm. He played with the strands of my hair while his wistful eyes were fixed on my face. I knew he was fighting back his tears.

"Tell me about your mom," I asked in a muted voice.

"What do you want to know?" He asked, still staring into my eyes.

"Does she live with your wife? What kind of a person is she? Why don't you go to meet her often? What happened when your enemies attacked her?"

He then looked away at the ceiling and sighed. "Well, Mamá has always been incredible. I am the only child so I was pampered a lot by both my parents. After Pápa's death, she sort of made herself distant from everyone. She would spend hours at the Church. She didn't really look after me and I don't blame her. She loved Pápa a lot. I started fending myself since then. But after a few years, she came around. She started looking after me again. I fell in love with Maya and wanted to marry her. I was only twenty-four and I was still new into my business. She was against it and she didn't really like Maya.

I got married against her will and now I'm paying a price for it. She wanted to move out of the house. So I bought her a new house near us. Some days I stayed with her some days with Maya. But after a year I started living with Mamá because I didn't get along with Maya anymore. Our love for each other had vanished. I moved out so that I don't have to hear her rants every day."

He looked at me and caressed my cheek. I gave him a small smile. He continued. "The people who are after me are Mexicans. They had attacked Mamá six months ago when she had gone to Church. I'd hired bouncers for her but she didn't like them around all the time. So I'd sent them to Madrid for some work. But I asked Julio to go with her to the Church anyway.

When the attack happened Julio single-handedly took care of them. He killed one man on the spot. Mamá was very frightened. She left Barcelona and moved to Sitges at her sister's place. She begged me many times to leave everything and go with her or hide somewhere they can't reach. But I'm not a coward and I can't just leave my business and run away. Since the attack happened, we've been tracking their leader, Roberto. But they reach us before we could reach them."