chapter thirty-seven: the wingwoman

"the wingwoman"

"the wingwoman"

mikasa's cottage

mikasa's cottage

"maroon or navy?"

"definitely maroon," you replied without hesitation."red looks better on you."

the two of you had spent the last two hours in a whirlwind photoshoot, chattering and posing, distracting yourselves from everything else going on. now, you scrolled through the dozens of images, critiquing them like they were the most important decision you'd ever make. after picking your top five images to post on your instagram, you presented them to mikasa.

"what do you think?"

"perfect. put that one as your first."

pleased with her feedback, you did exactly that and uploaded the pictures.

then, tossing your phone onto the bed, you reached for your glass of red wine from the bedside table, sipping when you picked up on mikasa's change in behaviour. she had grown quiet, like something was on her mind. a quick snap of your fingers gained her awareness again.

"hey, what's wrong?"

she exhaled deeply, pouring herself another drink."do you think i'm being dramatic? i mean...is all this even necessary?"

"a little," you admitted with a shrug."but there's no harm in dressing up and feeling sexy. and you, you don't even have to try," you complimented, making her blush."come on, show me your options."

setting your drink aside, you leaned in, helping your friend sift through her choices and upload them, hoping they would catch the attention of a certain someone.

"i wish i wasn't so insecure...how do you do it? levi is literally one of the best-looking guys at our school, and girls throw themselves at him all the time. but you don't seem to care."

"oh, trust me, i care," you disagreed, recalling an affair from a few weeks ago.

flashback