chapter twenty-two.

1975, present.

his hair was raggedy, and his clothes were even worse. it was the dead of the night, well morning to say. he was tired, oh so very tired. but he was glad to be back to where he had came from.

the note never left his mind, each sentence fully engraved like handwriting into rintarou's mind. scared wasn't the correct word, more like overwhelmed. panting, he had finally reached the house. the house of inarizaki, where he would now be living in as opposed to shinsuke. 

being let in was no hassle, as the guards immediately recognized who he was. he could still walk, he was just tired. wiping his eyes, he knocked on the door to where the don's office was. adrenaline paced through rintarou's entire body, and he was met with the face of someone who he was all in fact familiar with. 

"that was fast, in record time." shinsuke stepped aside so rintarou could get inside, and he just gave him a proud grin.

"i got your letter." he told him, and shinsuke gave him a hum. suna never found out why kita hummed so much, it was almost like kuruso. his antics probably pushed off of him, he thought.

"why so early? shinsuke, it's only been 5 years since you became don. and what happened with marie?" his mind was in a whirlwind, asking many questions at once. the older man just shushed him, and opened his mouth to explain.

"marie made some rather...harsh, decisions with this family. she doesn't know that i have gave this role to you yet. i'm planning on telling her soon, don't worry. it's more complicated than you think however. i have had my doubts about myself for a longer time than i have remembered, and i guess that i don't fit the role as don anymore. you deserve it, rintarou. with everything that you have been through, everything that you have done. you deserve it more than i do. and by all means, if you do not want it, i have my other options. but please, i insist. it is all i ask." shinsuke insisted, and suna wiped his eyes one more time.

"i'll take it. it is an honor, shinsuke." he replied, and shinsuke gave him a smile. the raggedy clothing that he was wearing right now didn't make it much better, and shinsuke laughed at his sheepish behavior when he directed to what he was wearing. 

but that changed in just a minute, when suna was now in a black silk blazer, gold designed on the buttons. his hands were adorned in black leather gloves, and the golden ring that kita used to wear was now placed on his ring finger. his hair was how it was usually parted, and shinsuke definitely appreciated how he fit the suit well.

bringing suna's ring finger up to his mouth, he gave a kiss to show a sign of respect. the gold was shiny, and rintarou almost smirked at that.

"i like that, don rintarou. it goes well." shinsuke grinned, and rintarou laughed. he heard the door clink open, and the 2 glanced over to see who it was. 

"don." the 2 miya twins announced at the same time, going over to suna and doing exactly what shinsuke did: kissing the ring. the door was open now, and the ambient light only from the lamp in his office made the atmosphere for tense. but that's just how it was in the world of a don: something that rintarou may have to get used too. 

while suna was making talk with the miya twins, kita smiled and quickly glanced over to the door, only to see his wife. 

marie looked shocked, eyes were glossy with tears and hair somewhat frizzy. he couldn't tell what was written all over her face: relief, anger, devastation? he had to know in order to make their falling relationship right again. shinsuke mouthed the words 'i'm sorry' in hope that she would understand, and marie did. she nodded her head, but kita's eyes' lit up when he caught a glimpse of the very small smile that was on her face. 

bidding all of their goodbyes at that moment, and when shinsuke finally shut the door, suna made his way over to what was now his desk. crossing his arms and falling to the chair, his legs crossed and he wiped his temples is frustration. the first thing he would've want to do as don?

revenge. hard, evil, cold revenge for what don tooru was doing to his woman, which reminded him-

"y/n."