chapter thirty-four.

1977.

song for this chapter: the halls of fear - nino rota

rintarou, shinsuke, osamu and atsumu all sat in the car, guns in their hands, loaded and ready to be fired. they all sat in silence, the quiet atmosphere being so loud. shinsuke was in the drivers seat, with atsumu in the passengers. suna and osamu were both in the back, suna's foot tapping. 

"you ready?" osamu asked, worry lacing his tone. he was concerned about his friend, like any consigliere should be. suna's pupils were blinded by rage. 

"of course. i wouldn't be dragging out here if i wasn't." he simply said, opening the car door and standing up, shinsuke and the miya twins following his lead. 

"now remember, shinsuke and i go inside. osamu, atsumu, stay outside, make sure your guns are filled." rintarou instructed, and the twins nodded both of their heads. atsumu looked at his brother, giving him a look to which he only knows the meaning behind, and osamu nodded. 

shinsuke and rintarou both made their way to the entrance of the nekoma mansion. the 2 of them had such intimidating auras it made some of the nekoma guards slightly uncomfortable. a bodyguard had unlocked the door to the all-so familiar mansion rintarou looked at. the 2 of them both exchanged curious looks as shinsuke stepped inside first, and was greeted by the raven-haired don who was standing near the grand staircase.

"don," kuroo grinned, "i knew you'd show up." 

"you bet i did." rintarou smirked, almost gritting his teeth. "this is shinsuke kita, former don. i'm sure you have heard of him." he gestured over to the lighter-haired man, to which he just nodded. 

"we have, it's great to see you again." kuroo stated, politely. he was about to say something else but was stopped, when a feminine voice came from the stairs. 

"tetsurou, have you seen my-" marie stopped mid-sentence when she saw shinsuke. her pupils have never been as wide as they were now. shinsuke stared back, his lips curved into a very small, sinister smirk. the woman swallowed a lump in her throat, before kuroo could finish for her. 

"marie ilyin. my step-sister, i'm sure you're aware." kuroo stated, his eyes never leaving hers. marie nodded before standing beside him, her eyes not leaving the ground. "rintarou, let's come to my office. i'm sure you and the former don have a lot to discuss."

tetsurou and rintarou made their way into the office, the stroll being more tense than shinsuke and marie's reunion. she stared at him, and he stared directly back. kita's eyes scanned her figure, noticing her finger. it made him scowl ever so slightly.

"your finger," he pointed out, "where's the ring?" 

"good observation," marie rolled her eyes, "and i got rid of it. you didn't think i would keep it, would you?"

"that costed money." kita seethed, and marie almost scoffed. 

"so did the wedding, the honeymoon. but that went down the drain, didn't it?" she grimaced, and kita gave a look of defeat. he stiffly nodded, and walked past her, towards the entrance. marie felt part of her heart break at the sight.

instinctively, she grabbed his wrist.

"shinsu-" marie stopped when he stilled, looking at her. there was a different glint in his eyes: no hatred, no anger. a glint she was familiar with, the one he wore with the ring on his finger. marie couldn't be able to have words come to her throat, and she was stopped by her trance when she heard shinsuke dryly chuckle.

"i miss the way you say my name." he grinned, and marie couldn't help the blush coming to her cheeks. 

with tetsurou and rintarou, the 2 were in the office. rintarou was playing along to whatever tetsurou was saying, his eyes merely drifting back and forth. if it was one thing rintarou was good at, it was pretending to pay attention. 

"...and that would be 500,000 yen split per person. due to the circumstances, that is as much that nekoma can do that do at the moment. is that settled?" kuroo asked, his dark eyes boring into suna's. 

"actually, i have another proposition." rintarou started, quickly taking the gun out from behind him and holding it in his hand. "i believe that you should retire from don."

"and why would i do that?" kuroo challenged. and before he could speak another word, suna was swift. he took the gun from under the table, aiming it directly at kuroo's chest. the bullet shot through his body at what felt like slow motion. 

the raven-haired man coughed up blood, trying to get a grip before falling to the floor. and when he was about to try and say something, suna quickly looked down at him.

"to answer your question, it's because you won't have anything else to live for." 

he quickly rushed out of the office, wiping the blood with the plain part of kuroo's button-down shirt. the blood stain was still definitely visible, but rintarou could care less. he made sure to close all of the windows, because the last thing the city would want to see is a dead con man in the town's most luxurious mansion. 

he made his way out of the office, quickly shutting the door. and when he was going to let out a sigh, he was stopped by the presence of 2 individuals. 

kenma kozume and y/n l/n, both with a gun pointed directly at rintarou. before rintarou could speak, kenma's calm (yet stern) voice drawled him out. 

"you should've picked a better time to shoot, his office is directly above her bedroom." he stated, and rintarou snickered. 

"hers? what are you, her boyfriend?"

"i am exactly her boyfriend." he said, his tone serious. y/n turned her head to look at him, to which he did the same. rintarou scowled, rolling his eyes. oh, please. like that would stop him. 

"i don't give a shit about you, pudding. what i do give a shit about, is the girl. so please, bring her up and she lives. you don't, and she's dead. her body will be placed in my mansion, at that, in a glass case." rintarou threatened. kenma wasn't one to give dark auras, but the look in his eyes was enough for rintarou to tell that he was up to no good.

"that is if, you can catch us." kenma grabbed her hand, rushing to the opposite side of the mansion. rintarou was quick to follow.

"oh, that's how you wanna play?"

a/n: speed wrote half of this chapter, i apologize for spelling mistakes